cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5d MkIII red lights in viewfinder on when screen is on

RickCDrew
Apprentice

This problem seemed to be random, but now it's constant.  Whenever the screen is on, the viewfinder glows red.  If I remove ther lens I can see that all the RED LED's in the viefinder are illuminated.  Screen off - no LED's.  This makes it impossible to shoot if the screen is on, say displaying settings, etc.  It also makes long exposures impossible if the screen is illininated |(level, etc.)  NOT just the focus points. It's a very bright, red glow.  If the lens is off, I can actuially read by the glow of the red light.

I have seen more and more people asking about this in various places (Flickr, camera groups, etc.) and nobody seems to know.

Here's an image from the web - this happens every time the screen is on. Shooting video, viewing images, looking at the menu - any time.

I have reset the camera. Tried differenent lenses and  no lens. If you search the web it's a fairly common problem.  I have changed all the AF settings.  You name it.  Nothing seems to work. Removed the batteries. No help there.  The only soultions I have seen on the web are "I have to return the camera...."

canon-5d3-viewfinder2.jpg

4 REPLIES 4

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

First thing is to reset the camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Been there, done that!  Here's someone else who posted a video on youtube...

Red Light in Viewfinder

In that case send it in to Canon or join CPS if you are unable to return it to the store.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I've had it a year, so it's out of warranty. It's obviously a defect/design flaw. I know 8 people with the 5D MKIII - six of them are now experiencing the same problem!

Announcements