cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5d Mark III AF issues... need help!

pbfmini
Apprentice

I bought this camera in march of this year and its never missed a shot. One week ago I noticed it was not focusing properly. I was in an indoor arena practicing low light so I didnt think anything of it. I have been adjusting settings all week now and CANNOT get it to focus properly.  Even resetting it to original settings did nothing for it.  I use a 70-200 f 2.8L almost always, however, last friday I experimented with both a 50mm and external flash.  I have a 2 day horse show to do this weekend, I need this this to work! has anyone experienced this or have any insight? TIA

13 REPLIES 13

Does the problem occur with both lenses?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Going on the assumption you didn't drop or otherwise have a mishap with said 5D or the lens in the meantine?

Are you sure you "completely" reset the camera?  Sometimes this is not as easy as just pushing a button.

You are sure the lens is in AF and not MF.  Turn off IS for the moment.  AI-Servo is set to One Shot?  And you are saying both lenses exhibit the same behaivor?

Now have you tried to clean the contacts on the lens and camera?   If you have a local camera store maybe they will let you try a different 5D and/or lens to see which is not working properly.

Buy a new battery.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Going on the assumption you didn't drop or otherwise have a mishap with said 5D or the lens in the meantine?

Are you sure you "completely" reset the camera?  Sometimes this is not as easy as just pushing a button.

You are sure the lens is in AF and not MF.  Turn off IS for the moment.  AI-Servo is set to One Shot?  And you are saying both lenses exhibit the same behaivor?

Now have you tried to clean the contacts on the lens and camera?   If you have a local camera store maybe they will let you try a different 5D and/or lens to see which is not working properly.

Buy a new battery.

I don't mean to single out the OP in this case, since I don't really know his sithation. But as a general observation I've been surprised at how many professional or semi-professional event photographers seem willing to wing it without a suitable backup camera. Even if one lives in an area where rentals are readily available, a failure can occur at any time - even in the middle of a shoot. A few years ago a regular poster on one of the Usenet newsgroups reported that he was shooting a wedding, and as he changed lenses on his 5D Mark I, the mirror popped out and fell on the floor! He wasn't the type to not have a spare, but what would you do if you were? Try to borrow a camera from the groom's father?

BTW, I'd be surprised if the OP's problem turned out to be due to the battery. The batteries used in the 5D3 (and in the 7D) are as reliable as any I've ever seen.

Bob

"... photographers seem willing to wing it without a suitable backup camera."

Bob from Boston,

I see it all the time.  But than there are pros and than there are "Pros".  There are a lot of folks that make a few bucks with their cmera and think that makes them a "pro" photographer.  It is quite one thing to do that as opposed to a guy that puts grocies on the table with his camera.

This and most other photography forums have people that may have shot a P&S for some years and than they buy a ?D or a even a ??D and overnight they are pros.  These persons are so very easy to spot.

But, hey, whatever floats your boat.  Smiley Happy

BTW, I typically use four cameras at a wedding shoot. Plus my assistant will have another one or two cameras.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"... photographers seem willing to wing it without a suitable backup camera."

BTW, I typically use four cameras at a wedding shoot. Plus my assistant will have another one or two cameras.

That's some serious boilerplate. 🙂

ok many things to cover and thank you all so much. i have def learned that the need for a backup is much greater than anticipated. i bought it in march and sold EVERYTHING i had to purchase the 70-200. i am by no means a pro, just an ammy looking to expand and learn.  this is why i believe it is me screwing up settings 😕 i was asked by my horse trainer to take pics at a riding clinic this weekend so of course i run into issues lol. soooo... same issue w both lenses. i reset to original/ out of box settings through the menu on camera. it cleared out everything i had done and i started from scratch. i have the camera set to ai servo for horseback riding lessons, i've tried every "case" setting in the menu, not much improvement. Right now what is happeneing is that i will focus on the horses eye during the lesson and the camera will focus on the side of where i've aimed. it is not every single shot- it is very hit or miss. i am super frusterated esp because i honestly believe it's something *I* did to the camera. i had my old camera (50d) for years and knew it front to back and the 5DM3 is quite different and it has definately been a learnig experience. i continue to take lessons and practice and learn but in the meantime i want to be able to take decents shots consistantly. up til this point this camera has not taken a bad shot.

also- the lens (70-200 f2.8L) was purchased used from B&h photo- they tested and graded it. the 50mm was bought new, it is the cheap $120 version, i just got it bc it was in stock at local Best Buy while i waited for other lens to come in mail. My next step is to take camera & lens to Murphys camera in Lville ky for testing OR send to canon. it has protection/ service plan thru Best Buy but I don't trust them 😕

Do you have center spot focusing selected?  It sounds like maybe not.  Try selecting center spot and try the camera again.  Get off the AI-Servo for now, too.  Use One shot.

If you don't have center spot selected, the 5D will select what it thinks you want.  Center spot is all I use, ever.

I am correct in thinking everything else is working as it should?

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Do you have center spot focusing selected?  It sounds like maybe not.  Try selecting center spot and try the camera again.  Get off the AI-Servo for now, too.  Use One shot.

If you don't have center spot selected, the 5D will select what it thinks you want.  ...

I think that's a bit of an oversimplification. If you don't tell it not to, the camera will indeed make its own selection. But the 5D3 has a half-dozen focus modes, each of which has its own method of limiting the camera's freedom to select. (And in that it is radically different from the 50D.)

Yes, try center-spot focus and see if it works better than what you're doing. But also get out the manual and bone up on the various focussing options of your camera. You may find one that's even more suitable.

Bob
Announcements