cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5d 3 underexposure

crustyraven
Apprentice

I am having a major problem with my 5d3 in that it is underexposing in Photoshop and Lightroom.  In the Photoshop Raw Filter, shooting raw pics exposure registers at -2.02 underexposed.  The pics are very dark even in a well lit day scene.  I sent the camera to a Canon service center expecting the problem to be corrected.  No change in the pics when it was returned to me.  Using my Canon 30D and my 3Ti, I have no problem in exposure, the pics look perfect straight out of the camera into Photoshop and Lightroom.  A Canon Rep suggested their software so I tried it and the exposure looked perfect.  I am completely befuzzled!  I don't use their free software since I have the best software available.  I have looked into my software for a setting that might fix the problem but have found nothing.  I reset the camera to default after the Rep made the suggestion.  No help there.  If you have a solution, I hope you will post it here.

14 REPLIES 14

While the 5Ds might be different than my T6S, HTP made no difference in Camera RAW.

(This is one of those things that you may as well try before opening your mouth!)

That said, there could also be some other setting in the 5DS that is causing the issue, try to reset the camera to its defaults and try again.

@kvbarkley wrote:

It could be that LR and PS understand the setting, but Aperture (i.e., the Apple RAW Processor) certainly does not and causes just this kind of behaviour. While the RAW data is readily accesible, the camera settings included have to be reverse engineered, and sometimes they get it wrong. 

It is certainly worth a try.

So you're saying that on an Apple computer PS and LR use a 3rd-party (i.e., neither Canon nor Adobe) RAW codec that DPP doesn't need because it understands the Canon RAW format natively? I guess that would let Adobe off the hook, sort of.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

It could be that LR and PS understand the setting, but Aperture (i.e., the Apple RAW Processor) certainly does not and causes just this kind of behaviour. While the RAW data is readily accesible, the camera settings included have to be reverse engineered, and sometimes they get it wrong. 

It is certainly worth a try.

So you're saying that on an Apple computer PS and LR use a 3rd-party (i.e., neither Canon nor Adobe) RAW codec that DPP doesn't need because it understands the Canon RAW format natively? I guess that would let Adobe off the hook, sort of.

No, Apple uses its own RAW codec, so it affects Apple Apps like Aperture. Adobe uses Camera Raw on the Mac, too, which I assume is the same as the Windows version. I use the Apple apps, and rarely use Camera Raw. 

""Never heard of that. Ever!  PS or LR is not causing the problem.""

This is my educated, opinion, form several decades of using PS and/or LR.

I will still strongly repeat, IMHO, it is not PS or LR causing the OP's issue.  If it happens to be, I will be super surprised and I will say 'Holy DSLR, Batman!'.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Peter
Authority
Authority
Upload a sample containing full EXIF data.
Announcements