cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5Dm4 Disabled by any Lens- Help

GWagner
Contributor
Hi, My 5Dm4 has developed a strange issue. When I attach any lens, the back buttons and LCD screen become completely unresponsive.
If you have and knowledge of this issue please help me. And please refrain from speculation. I know you are all smart and I’ve tried all the usual remedies. Let’s limit our discussion to first or secondhand knowledge of this specific issue.
Thanks for any help
Greg
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Waddizzle wrote:

@GWagner wrote:
Canon repair invoice:
"It was found that the front cover was out of position causing the depth of field button to be stuck".
That was the cause. Not sure what “front cover” refers to though

Sounds like a damaged body.  

Cameras have a chassis, that serves as a skeleton for the body.  The chassis is covered with panels that form the actual exterior of the camera.  Sounds like one was somehow out of its’ proper position.

Yeah, the concern in a case like this is not that the panel was out of position, but rather how it got that way. It's not a common condition. One has to suspect that the camera either was worked on by someone who didn't know what he was doing or has been dropped.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I suggest that you contact Canon Support to send your camera in for testing and repair.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Reset the camera to defaults
Test with "any" lens
Ensure the contacts on the body are clean

If it doesn't work (exhibits same behavior) It's malfunctioning or broken. Not speculation, follow Wadizzle's advice.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

GWagner
Contributor
So this specific issue has been resolved in the past by the reset and cleaning of contacts?

*Edit...  you guys responded while I was replying...

You want us to speculate, or are you going to follow our advice - Send it to Canon?

Your issue is an anomoly.  Something which is out of the ordinary, and uncommon.    

In many cases, a software issue (such as this) can be resolved by performing a reset.  Does this apply in every case, no.  If you have a hardware issue, its not going to work.  Since your "behavior' occurs with "any" lens, the problem appears to be with the body. 

You have very few options.  Ensurng the camera is clean, using a fresh battery, a memory card of known good quality and performing a reset are the only options you as a consumer have.  Unless you have some kind of electronics background and want to risk taking your camera apart to test it.  Maybe you have equipment to do this?

We don't know, so we aren't going to speculate and if you cannot solve the issue on your own, we recommened sending it to Canon who are unquestionably experts, and have the technical ability to diagnose and correct the issue or problem.

So I would reiterate again, that you contact Canon.  We're sorry you are having problems.  Its a bummer, but these things do happen.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@GWagner wrote:
Hi, My 5Dm4 has developed a strange issue. When I attach any lens, the back buttons and LCD screen become completely unresponsive.
If you have and knowledge of this issue please help me. And please refrain from speculation. I know you are all smart and I’ve tried all the usual remedies. Let’s limit our discussion to first or secondhand knowledge of this specific issue.
Thanks for any help
Greg

You're asking us to give you a definitive answer without speculation, when you haven't even told us what your definition of "the usual remedies" is. Frankly, that task is impossible. Follow Waddizzle's advice and send it to Canon for inspection.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

GWagner
Contributor
Usual remedies: change batteries, change card, reset camera, clean contacts. I really think sending it in to canon in intuitively obvious and I fear that is what I will ultimately have to do. I read a post from a couple of years ago where someone had a similar issue and it was resolved by an $800 repair at canon. I figure it’s a long shot but maybe I can avoid that if someone had managed to resolve that problem in the past. So I specified I was looking to hear from someone who is familiar with that particular problem. I’m sorry if I’m coming off like a jerk, but I’m not wealthy, I’m really upset about this and I’m no closer to an answer than I’ve ever been. Hope that sheds some light. Thanks

Unless mounting a lens is causing a damaged fragment of one of the body mounted lens contacts to short between two contacts I really don't see anything else you can practically do at the owner level to repair this issue.  Use a good magnifier and closely examine the set of body contacts that interface with the lens.  Make sure that there aren't any burrs on the camera mount that are preventing the lens from rotating fully into place when it is mounted instead of stopping a few degrees short which could cause an issue.

Canon has certainly seen this problem before so contact them to set up an estimate and repair, it could be far less than you expect.  You can probably get it repaired less expensively from one of the shops that also services Canon gear once it is out of Canon's normal service life estimate or when it is deemed uneconomically feasible to repair by the official Canon service center.  Especially with high end camera bodies, Canon service is going to stay on the conservative side of doing a repair in order to minimize the chances of failure in the field.  This generally means replacing an entire subassembly even if the issue is only a single damaged contact on a board because the additional cost of a conservative repair is less than the cost a pro would face from failure at an inopportune time.  With a 5D4 body I would bite the bullet and have Canon do the repair. 

I suspect that the lens interface in the 5D4 is "buffered" to prevent a defective lens from damaging the interface hardware in the body but I would certainly inquire with Canon when it is sent in for repair whether a defective lens could have caused the failure in the body.  This gets a little stickier if you are using a third party lens but you don't want to have to pay Canon to do the same repair again if one of your lens caused a permanent body failure.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

"Usual remedies: change batteries, change card, reset camera, clean contacts."

What some are trying to say, perhaps coarsely, is once the average person has done those steps a call to Canon is in order.

1 (800) 652-2666 give'em a call, they'er pretty nice people!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

GWagner
Contributor
Thanks Rodger
Announcements