cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5DSR - Not happy

Wurzel555
Apprentice

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a 5DSR specifically for macro photos of bugs and studio portrait stuff due to the resolution and cropping capability.

However I have a few issues with it that I would like advice on before I either return the camera or contact support to see if it is defective.

I am not overly impessed with the picture quality in comparison to my 6D.

I used the 5DSR in a studio with the same lens as I did with my 6D and the same lighting system and when I zoom in the pictures are nowhere near as sharp as with the 6D, with the 6D I can zoom in and see hairs and pores on the skin with the 5dSR things are out of focus.

Secondly when uploading the pics to my PC using the USB 3 cable supplied, it gets half way through the upload and then the camera crashes with an error telling me to remove the battery, just using the power switch doesn't work you need to remove the battery. this only happens when copying CR2, it will get so far then crash once I work out which CR2 it is causing the issue I can restart the camera and select the next one and copying continues.

At first I thought it might be a dodgy CF card but the .jpg files all copy, it is only the CR2 that crashes the camera.

Also everytime I have this error and remove the battery I have to reset the date and time of the camera.

Lastly I took some photos yesterday then uploaded to the PC, formatted both cards in the camera and then took a few more photos, when I went to upload them, the PC said did I want to overwrite the existing photo, the camera even though it was set to continuous numbering had reused some previous image numbers.

The camera is 1 month old and hase the latest v1.1.1 firmware on it.

Lens was Canon USM IS L F4.0  24-105

Has anyone else experienced these issues? is my camera defective or is this just a trait of the this model?

Cheers

Steve

17 REPLIES 17

Which date are you refering to - the import date or the metadata date?

How far off are the dates?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
There is also a technique you can Google called "Dot Tune".

Basically you first focus with Live View, which is actual sensor image. Then you focus with viewfinder. If focus shifts you dial in AFMA and repeat. Stop when focus no longer shifts. Not complex, but takes time.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Most newer lenses are tripod smart. The manual for your lens will tell you.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Mitsubishiman
Rising Star
I have the camera and I am not experiencing any of your issues, although I have not taken many macro shots, ordinarily I have had exceptional results, I have 6 different L series lenses but not your model

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"The camera is 1 month old and hase the latest v1.1.1 firmware on it."

One of two, your choice.  Return it or send it to Canon service. It is under warranty.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

AJPhotography
Apprentice

Hi was following the post.. I am new to this forum .. Based in Cork, Ireland.  I have a 5dsr, for about two years now.  I have been happy with it, although sometimes some issues with not turning on, or locking up.. I mainly ignored these..  Yesterday out for a landscape shoot in Ballycotton, East Cork.. Go there and  ( Im sure others have done this.. ? ), realised no media with me.. I had swapped at the last moment, before leaving from my 5d Mk3, to deciding to bring the DSR.... So I put the camera in the bag and headed to a nearby Phamacy to buy a little SD Card.. When I got back to the shoot location.. after a coffee and chill out.. I opened the camera bag and noticed that the Red busy, writing light was on.. The camera hot etc.. ( i had not switched off, but being lazy left the camera to do so.... )  Then when powered up the camera again with the new card, I found that the screen had vertical lines , grey ones running up the screen from botton to top, ,mainly on the left side of the LCD..  I fear that the overheating and red light on' issue caused this.... Has anyone else had this.. I suspect it is going to be expensive. Sensor is fine, but LCD....... !!!!!  Andy, Cork Ireland..

@AJPhotographywrote:

Hi was following the post.. I am new to this forum .. Based in Cork, Ireland.  I have a 5dsr, for about two years now.  I have been happy with it, although sometimes some issues with not turning on, or locking up.. I mainly ignored these..  Yesterday out for a landscape shoot in Ballycotton, East Cork.. Go there and  ( Im sure others have done this.. ? ), realised no media with me.. I had swapped at the last moment, before leaving from my 5d Mk3, to deciding to bring the DSR.... So I put the camera in the bag and headed to a nearby Phamacy to buy a little SD Card.. When I got back to the shoot location.. after a coffee and chill out.. I opened the camera bag and noticed that the Red busy, writing light was on.. The camera hot etc.. ( i had not switched off, but being lazy left the camera to do so.... )  Then when powered up the camera again with the new card, I found that the screen had vertical lines , grey ones running up the screen from botton to top, ,mainly on the left side of the LCD..  I fear that the overheating and red light on' issue caused this.... Has anyone else had this.. I suspect it is going to be expensive. Sensor is fine, but LCD....... !!!!!  Andy, Cork Ireland..

What is a "little SD card" in this context? If it's a micro-SD (like for a cell phone) with adapter, maybe that's the source of the problem. Such a rig is supposed to work, but we've heard of cases where it caused problems (usually just data corruption, but you never know).

More broadly, it would seem that the camera, being already on, thought it was supposed to do something with the card and got overheated while trying to do it. Any way you look at it, it needs to go back to a Canon shop for evaluation. Any DIY action is likely to make matters worse.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi Bob .  Thanks for the reply... My term little SD card was perhaps misleading.  From a personal point of view I rarely use the SD card .  I am well aware that they are very stable etc.. but normally use CF cards.. So apologise for the confusion :-).. Inthis case it was  a standard size SD card..   The camera had no card in it and for some reason when I put it back in the bag decided to get busy '  until I went back to it about an hour later..   It will of course have to go back to Canon, in my Case, to Dublin... Thanks again for the response Bob...    Andy, Cork, ROI.  

Announcements