Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

[5DS] Very fast random discharging of the LP-E6N batteries.

[ Edited ]

Hello, my name is Marcin and I'm writing from Poland in Central Europe.

Camera: Canon EOS 5DS

Serial number: Ending on number 23 so I have some very early specimen, even earlier than that from Lensrentals.com teardown (ending on number 37).

Genuine Canon battery no. 1: LP-E6N from 2015.01

Serial number: 29e1ac14

Genuine Canon battery no. 2: LP-E6N from 2015.03

Serial number: 6cfab703 

I'm using that camera since beginning of July 2015, right now we have first half of November so I'm using that camera from over four months.

Since July I'm working in 90% of the time with EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, the next 10% are reserved for lenses like EF 100mm f/2.0 USM, EF 35mm f/2 IS USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM and Tamron 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD. My copy of Tamron is bad for 5DS because it's firmware doesn't allow to work in Live View mode, I need to send it to service for firmware upgrade - I had one of the very first copies of this lens, later doesn't needed firmware upgrade.  

During this time I had four (so one per month) very fast unfortunately random discharging of the LP-E6N batteries. Writing "very fast" I mean within maybe half an hour loss of capacity from level of 99% (fully charged) to level of 40%.

"Unfortunately random" because it's not regular phenomenon. But once it happens this is the case when the camera remains in sleep mode. I was shooting this week at home with EF 35 mm f/2 IS USM for about an hour then switched to EF 50 mm f/1.8 STM and with that lens I put the camera in a bag in sleep mode. About half an hour I looked to that bag and... 

Whole camera (but especially battery comparment and bottom part of the camera (tripod base)) heats up to 45 Celcius (113 Fahrenheit) standard warm water temperature or even higher (just a guess, I did not measure it) and was acting like a solid hand warmer.

I did some test with two of my batteries.

When camera is OFF (power switch in OFF position), both my batteries charged one day to level of 99% the next day also shows a 99% charge level when I move power switch in ON position.

Genuine Canon battery no. 1: LP-E6N from 2015.01 in camera with sleep mode:

Camera turned on 4PM, battery with 99% capacity. Camera checked at 9:40PM, battery with 98% capacity. 1% power loss in 5h40m.

Removed from camera with 98% capacity and inserted next day shows 97% capacity.

Genuine Canon battery no. 2: LP-E6N from 2015.03 in camera with sleep mode:

Camera turned on 10:15AM, battery with 98% capacity. Camera checked at 15:40PM, battery with 96% capacity. 2% power loss in 5h25m.

Removed from camera with 96% capacity and inserted next day shows 96% capacity.

I think that there's some problem with camera firmware, a problem that is present in Canon cameras not from today.

"I found the 5DSR drained the battery a little more quickly than the 6D. I was recharging the battery each night but found it acceptable getting over 500 shots per charge on image stabilized lenses. Still, you'll want to keep a spare battery or two in the bag when out working with this camera. Auto-focus worked very well, most of the time. I did run into a problem when using a graduated neutral density filter in one situation. The camera simply could not accurately auto-focus on a particular scene and assuming it was reliable and accurate, I blew one set of shots by not paying attention to the fuzzy results. I tried several auto-focus setups, all having trouble in that situation. My advice, check your work. The auto-focus system though robust, is not flawless, particularly in very high-contrast scenes. I found the 5DSR was giving me about 650 images on a 32gig Compact Flash chip. The camera flushed the buffer quickly and photography was never delayed while waiting for the camera to write to the chip after a burst of shots. I did not try to use this camera as a sports camera, so how many shots it could buffer and how long it took to clear that full buffer was never analyzed. I had no issues though.

One problem I did have was the camera locking up, at least partially. Twice when using the in-camera level indicator, the camera locked up and would not allow me to exit the level indicator view and freezing the camera buttons so as to be nonfunctional. But, the shutter, and exposure settings were still available. In both instances, I removed the battery and allowed the camera to sit for about 5 minutes. In both instances, the camera began operating properly after a few minutes wait with the battery removed. I wasn't inclined to troubleshoot the problem further, so I reverted to the 6D during these two brief outages. Still, it could have happened in a critical situation and that would have been a bad thing. A $4,000 camera should not be freezing up. I've read other reports around the web about this camera doing strange things and then magically clearing itself, so Canon engineers have a bug or two to work out here or there will be hell to pay on the internet forums. They better get this straightened out."

Source: Google search for keywords "gary,gray,field,report,5dsr,canon,eos"

"My issue was self-drain of the battery when the camera was sleeping and heavy drain on a single-shot basis.

Both were resolved, issues with firmware not taking or "holding" bad config data in the camera.

I flashed the firmware down to 2.0.3 (yes, despite the 2.0.7 warning), cleared the settings (as much as possible), formatted the card. Same consumption. Then, I re-flashed 2.0.7, cleared settings, formatted the card. As of the last test, I got 130 shots from a fresh-off-charge battery and got to 96%. Let the camera sit for about 2 hours - was still at 96%. Went and shot another 100 frames, 92%. Much better and inline with what is expected (and the CIPA rating). After another hour of sleeping, the battery held at 92%.

The camera has now been sleeping for about 12 hours - and is at 94%. Before all of this, the battery would have been in the high 80s after 12 hours.

Looks like it was a massive firmware fail on Canon's part (not the firmware itself, but the flash/clear process bootstrapper). The result of the flash not taking (or working with some leftover data) was that something was not sleeping completely."

Source: Google search for keywords "dpreview,forums,post,56076153"

"Firmware Version 1.1.4 for the Canon EOS-1D Mark IV camera incorporates the following fixes: 

1. Resolves the following phenomenon: when the camera is not attached to a lens, power consumption may be higher than usual, causing premature battery drain."

Source: Google search for keywords "nnps,org,canon_owners_page"

So if you work for Canon and/or have contact with the Japanese headquarters please let them know that 5DS/R users are having problems with these cameras. I don't know where to write, I don't know Japanese language.

Re: [5DS] Very fast random discharging of the LP-E6N batteries.

Hi, Marcin!

Welcome to The Canon Forums, and thank you for your inquiry!

We appreciate your participation, though we need to let you know that the Canon Forum is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. We are only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for and used within the US market.

If you're in Poland and are experiencing problems with your Canon EOS camera, please we recommend visiting Canon Polska's website at http://www.canon.pl for support in your part of the world.

Feel free to discuss Canon products sold outside of the United States, but please be aware that you will not receive support directly from Canon USA.

Thanks for choosing Canon!

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: [5DS] Very fast random discharging of the LP-E6N batteries.

From the beginning of 2016 I did not notice very fast random discharging of the LP-E6N batteries, it looked as if the problem disappeared himself.

In February I bought EF 50mm f/1,2L USM lens. AF was not too repetitive with my camera (especially on longer distances at low light) so after two months of use I decide to sent a set of camera + lens to Canon authorized service center in my country for adjusting the AF pattern, adjusting CMOS sensor positioning, CMOS sensor cleaning and for tune the AF lens relative to the camera.

They did almost all but... My CMOS sensor has not been cleared, it was replaced with a new one - it's called "CMOS SENSOR ASS'Y" on acknowledgment of receipt of equipment from repair.

I do not know what was responsible for what, CMOS sensor for very fast random discharging of the LP-E6N batteries or very fast random discharging of the LP-E6N batteries for problems (which I personally did not notice but Canon authorized service has the proper diagnostic tools so they know better) with CMOS sensor.

So if you have your EOS 5DS/R on warranty and you see some problems with it, do not waste your time and better send it to Canon authorized service center.