cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5DS-R sharpness

acdapha
Contributor

I just got the 5DSR last week.  I had been using a 70D previously until it broke and then a Nikon 800D for a little while.  I was excited when I got the new camera.  I really love it, but am a little disappointed with the clarity of the pictures.  I was expecting to have much clearer pictures especially compared to the 70D.  I have taken similar pictures with the 5DSR with the same lens as what I did with the 70D and I do not see a significant different in image quality when blowing up the images.  I expected to see a much clearer image with the 5DSR.  Am I doing something wrong?  I am shooting in RAW and the highest setting.  Any thoughts?

14 REPLIES 14

Thank you for your input.  It makes sense what you are saying.  What would be a better lens than what I already have?  Just trying to get the best pictures possible 🙂

@acdaphawrote:

Thank you for your input.  It makes sense what you are saying.  What would be a better lens than what I already have?  Just trying to get the best pictures possible 🙂

That's a very price-dependent question.  What is your budget?  

Also what leases do you want/need?  Do you need to replace what you say you currently have with similar?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

As a non-professional I guess I would have a hard time justifying spending 10K on a lens. I really enjoy taking pictures and want them to look good, if that means I need to spend a few thousand on a good lens then so be it. I would probably want to stick to something similar to what I have, something for a wide angle and something for telephoto.

@acdaphawrote:

Your lenses are older designs, which pre-date the 5Ds series by several years.  Stick to newer releases.

The EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM and the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lenses would be good lenses to use.  Canon has updated most of their standard primes in recent years.  

CD57BA11-758F-4187-A172-D3241162BF5A.jpeg

But, one of my favorites is the EF 35mm f/2 IS USM lens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle pretty much picked what I'd have suggested with all three (24-70, 70-200 and 35mm).   About $4,000 altogether, minus what you could get if you sell the others.  I like that combo, including a nice sharp Prime at the very useful 35mm length.  

If you had a bit more to spend I think I'd go for the Prime at f/1.4 for a bit more low light help. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements