cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5DS-R sharpness

acdapha
Contributor

I just got the 5DSR last week.  I had been using a 70D previously until it broke and then a Nikon 800D for a little while.  I was excited when I got the new camera.  I really love it, but am a little disappointed with the clarity of the pictures.  I was expecting to have much clearer pictures especially compared to the 70D.  I have taken similar pictures with the 5DSR with the same lens as what I did with the 70D and I do not see a significant different in image quality when blowing up the images.  I expected to see a much clearer image with the 5DSR.  Am I doing something wrong?  I am shooting in RAW and the highest setting.  Any thoughts?

14 REPLIES 14

@acdaphawrote:

I just got the 5DSR last week.  I had been using a 70D previously until it broke and then a Nikon 800D for a little while.  I was excited when I got the new camera.  I really love it, but am a little disappointed with the clarity of the pictures.  I was expecting to have much clearer pictures especially compared to the 70D.  I have taken similar pictures with the 5DSR with the same lens as what I did with the 70D and I do not see a significant different in image quality when blowing up the images.  I expected to see a much clearer image with the 5DSR.  Am I doing something wrong?  I am shooting in RAW and the highest setting.  Any thoughts?

I wouldn't necessarily expect either of the 5DSes to provide visibly better image quality in a side-by-side comparison. To me, the only justification for a 5DS is to make larger prints without losing too much resolution. If you don't have to do that, get a 5D3 or a 5D4.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thank you for the response.  If I will see a difference when printing the images why wouldn't I see a difference on the computer when I blow them up or crop?

@acdaphawrote:

Thank you for the response.  If I will see a difference when printing the images why wouldn't I see a difference on the computer when I blow them up or crop?

As you crop the image file, discarding data and stretching what’s left to cover the screen, you should see a photo from the 70d start to look pixelated (blocky) before you’d see the 5ds do that.  Make it fair though and compare apples and apples; compare an X % crop to an X% crop, and not cropping the full frame image more to make up for the in-camera image circle cropping/field of view restricting done by the crop camera. 

An unsharp look due to pixelation is different from an unsharp look due to the resolving limits of the lens. The big MP camera can’t help with the latter. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@acdaphawrote:

What lens are you using?  Lenses have a resolution limit, too.  By that, I mean using a higher resolution sensor will not yield higher resolution pictures.

To get the most out of 5DS bodies you will want to be using the latest releases of Canon lenses.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have an EF 70-300 4-5.6 L IS USM (I have had this one for several years) and EF 24-70 4 L IS USM (just bought new with the camera). 

@acdaphawrote:

I have an EF 70-300 4-5.6 L IS USM (I have had this one for several years) and EF 24-70 4 L IS USM (just bought new with the camera). 

Great lenses, for sure.  I am not sure whether or not they can fully realize the potential of the 50MP sensor, though.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"I have an EF 70-300 4-5.6 L IS USM ... and EF 24-70 4 L IS USM"

These are not the top choices in lenses for the best IQ. But it still can be you as the culprit.  The best IQ requires the best of everything from lenses to your technique.  You see the problem is everybody thinks a high MP camera is going to produce high quality sharp photos.  The fact is high MP cameras are capable of producing high IQ photos.

With all the good, all the bad is magnified, too.  Let's consider any miss focus.  Any vibration or unsteady holding.  All bad things and a high MP camera along with all the good will not miss them either.

What lenses would I buy?  Two right off the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens and the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens.  It doesn't get any better than these two lenses.  I know, I have both and they go everywhere with me.

A web site I don't particularly care for or use much claims a 32 P-Mpix for the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens.  This is an excellent score. Basically pixels on subject.  Some primes score ever higher at 34 P-Mpix.  These are the lenses you should be looking for.  But even they won't do the trick if you don't do yours.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I will definitely check out the suggested lenses, thanks for the input!!

ebiggs1 : I completely agree with you and know that I need to get better myself so that my pictures are as good as they can be.

Mitsubishiman
Rising Star
I have the 5DsR, and for the record, it requires the best lens to take advantage of the megapixels, and I will also state from experience it takes time to acclimate to the camera, 90% of my utilization is on a tripod, and landscape is my favorite subject.
I have taken some remarkable photos, and they look different on different monitors, I have a 27" 5K and there is no comparison as to clarity on a standard resolution monitor.
My advice is pay particular attention to focal points, narrow down the number for tack sharp on primary subject.
Announcements