cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5DS R not detected by Windows 10 Pro via USB

JT3662
Contributor

Strange thing. My 5D4 is detected by my Windows 10 PC, but my 5DS R is not. It doesn't show up anywhere. Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@JT3662 wrote:

Strange thing. My 5D4 is detected by my Windows 10 PC, but my 5DS R is not. It doesn't show up anywhere. Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

That is odd.  They use the same cable, so we can rule that out.  It sounds like a potential issue with the 5Ds R.  I would contact Canon Support. 

But, I wonder if the Windows OS is getting the two bodies mixed up, though.  What happens if you connect the 5D4, and then delete it in the Device Manager, and then try to connect the 5Ds R?  Sometimes it takes a minute or two for the camera to inatal a driver for a new USB device.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for the reply. I did as you suggested, and Windows still won't detect it. Under warranty so I'm going to send it to Canon.

I think I'd try on a second PC before sending it off. The issue might be with the PC and not the body.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I agree with Rick.  Although I use an ethernet cable instead of USB I have had to jump through hoops several times to get connectivity restored after Win 10 updates.  Right now plugging in my 1DX or 1DX 2 results in EOS util popping up in about 3 seconds ready to go but I won't be surprised if a future update creates issues again.  At one point if I used my 1DX first the 1DX 2 wouldn't be recognized until after I did a full computer restart.

If you don't have another PC handy at home take it to the office with you Monday and try it there or at a friends house before shipping to Canon.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

I tried it on another PC without any success. It could have something to do with the Windows updates. However, I find it very puzzling that my 5D4 and Olympus E-M1ii are both detectable while my 5DS R is not. Two months ago, I could shoot my R tethered, but there have been some OS updates since then. Maybe there's a correlation, I don't know.

@JT3662 wrote:

I tried it on another PC without any success. It could have something to do with the Windows updates. However, I find it very puzzling that my 5D4 and Olympus E-M1ii are both detectable while my 5DS R is not. Two months ago, I could shoot my R tethered, but there have been some OS updates since then. Maybe there's a correlation, I don't know.

The last thing you can try is launching the EOS Utility manually after you connect the camera, and then turn it on.  This sounds like a trip to a Canon Service Center is in the near future.  Contact Canon Support.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tried opening the EOS Utility first. Nothing. Off to Canon it goes.

Thanks for the replies.

JT

JT3662
Contributor

UPDATE:

I contacted Canon for service options, and they provided steps to "reset" the camera. After doing this, it is now communicating with my computer. For those who might have a similar problem, here are the steps.

- Remove lens and clean contacts. Put on a different Canon lens.

- Remove battery and card(s)

- Reinsert battery, and connect to computer

I had tried everything except card removal and switching lenses. Removing all three fixed the problem.

John

Announcements