Canon Community Canon Community

Honored Contributor

Re: [5DS] Continuous operation IS in Canon lenses in Live View mode when Continuous AF is Disable.

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

I do believe that that has been true of IS systems ever since they were introduced.  It doesn't seem to be as bad in One Shot mode, compared to AI Servo mode, though.

That's what I thought too. Wasn't that the original reason why Canon recommended turning IS off when the camera is on a tripod?

Yes, I beleive that was the reasoning behind the recommendation.  Besides, it saves battery power when you're on a tripod.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Honored Contributor

Re: [5DS] Continuous operation IS in Canon lenses in Live View mode when Continuous AF is Disable.

"IS in both lenses is ON. I press START/STOP button and Live View is ON. I don't press shutter button and IS in both lenses operates continuously and doesn't want to stop. Smiley Surprised

When I turn off IS in both lenses and camera is in Live View mode the problem disappears. 

"Clear all camera settings" and removing battery doesn't help."

---------------------------------------------------------

I don't have a 5D3 to check this out, but you can assign a button to be "IS Start".  Apparently you use it to engage/disengage IS when the lens IS switch is set to <ON>.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Yeah, it's a nice idea. I assigned to the "DOF preview" button function "IS start". Unfortunately this works only in viewfinder mode, this has no impact how IS behave in Live View mode in my 5DS.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mkamelg wrote:

Yeah, it's a nice idea. I assigned to the "DOF preview" button function "IS start". Unfortunately this works only in viewfinder mode, this has no impact how IS behave in Live View mode in my 5DS.

I would not have expected the behavior of the lenses you cited to change.  But, try to check the behavior with any of the lenses on the list of those smart enough to disable IS when the camera is mounted on a tripod.  The lenses you initially cited do not have the smarts to turn off their IS, according to the list at the link I posted..

For example, my EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM seems to stop hunting when AF is idle, after I switch from AI Servo to One Shot.  I can hear noises in AI Servo mode, and nothing in One Shot mode.  This is through the viewfinder, though.  And, I use back button focus to start/stop AF.

Esteemed Contributor

@mkamelg wrote:

I might be inclined to try it again with a button that's not so closely associated with the viewfinder.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Honored Contributor

In shooting Menu 5 [RED], what is your setting for "Continuous AF"?  I usually Disable this setting to save power.