Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

[5DS] Continuous operation IS in Canon lenses in Live View mode when Continuous AF is Disable.

[ Edited ]

I think I found some firmware bug in my camera. Or it's a camera feature?

Camera: EOS 5DS

Options:

Continuous AF

Tested lenses:

EF 35 mm f/2 IS USM

EF 16-35 mm f/4L IS USM

IS in both lenses is ON. I press START/STOP button and Live View is ON. I don't press shutter button and IS in both lenses operates continuously and doesn't want to stop. Smiley Surprised

When I turn off IS in both lenses and camera is in Live View mode the problem disappears. 

"Clear all camera settings" and removing battery doesn't help.

Respected Contributor

Re: [5DS] Continuous operation IS in Canon lenses in Live View mode when Continuous AF is Disable.

Sounds like a feature to me. And since you can turn IS off on the lens, I don't see it being and issue either way, I know if you were doing video you would want the ability to have the IS on all the time.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: [5DS] Continuous operation IS in Canon lenses in Live View mode when Continuous AF is Disable.

I'm trying to look at the position of the switch on your start/stop button to see if you're in movie mode vs. still photography mode.  

If in "movie" mode, the camera will normally start IS motors operating as soon as you activate movie-mode (and you see the image on the LCD dispaly.)

If in "camera" mode, but using live-view the camera will normally only enable IS if you activate focus/metering (e.g. half-press the shutter button.)

At least that's how it works on my 5D III -- but that's not to say Canon might not have changed that behavior on the 5Ds.

I noticed you opened the camera display to a menu showing that "Continuous AF" is disabled.  AF is not the same as IS.  You can disable AF and still have IS operating.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Occasional Contributor

I asked one guy on our Polish Canon related forum in thread about 7D Mark II if he can check how it looks like in his camera. 7D Mark II is pure APS-C 5DS brother - two DIGIC VI processors, sensor (different physical size but the same pixel density), Dual Pixel CMOS AF etc.

He wrote me that when IS in his lens is ON and Live View is ON in "camera" mode and he don't half-press the shutter button, he hears silence.

But I'm not. 

I tested my 5DS with previously mentioned EF 35 mm f/2 IS USM, EF 16-35 mm f/4L IS USM and now with EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM. I shot a short video:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Asmd3i9rvqAbkUx7I3eFNPieWxjz

In a quiet room put your speakers volume to the max and get close with your ear to the speaker or put on your headphones.

Personally for me it's a firmware bug not an "feature".

Honored Contributor

I am not able to view your video.  Is this an issue when the camera is on a tripod, or just handheld?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Occasional Contributor

It's independent issue, doesn't matter if camera is on a tripod or just handheld.

I uploaded my video on my YouTube channel so you can try to watch it here:

https://youtu.be/dm5TdKyWF28

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Check out this article, particularly the table on page 4..

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/infobank/lenses/image_stabilisation.do

I'm not sure what the IS behavior should be in LiveView mode.  The article makes no mention of it.  However, the table on page 4 suggests that neither lens that you mentioned has the smarts to know when it is mounted on a tripod, which would cause it to disable the IS.

[EDIT]  The focus mode, One Shot or AI Servo, could make a difference, too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

OK, case closed. It's a new disgusting from my point of view official feature which appeared in new Canon cameras models.

During the weekend I contacted with Canon support here in Europe. They wrote me back that I should look at page 278 in user manual so I did.

page_278_5ds_user_manual.jpg

I checked few other user manuals. You can find that info also in 80D (page 291) and EOS-1D X Mark II (page 294) user manuals but not in 7D Mark II (page 311) and 5D Mark III page 218) user manuals.

Why I wrote word "disgusting"? Because 5DS together with 5DS R are serious battery drainers itself.  Add to this new feature and you get professional ultra fast battery 5DiSchargeR.

Honored Contributor

I do believe that that has been true of IS systems ever since they were introduced.  It doesn't seem to be as bad in One Shot mode, compared to AI Servo mode, though.

Esteemed Contributor

@Waddizzle wrote:

I do believe that that has been true of IS systems ever since they were introduced.  It doesn't seem to be as bad in One Shot mode, compared to AI Servo mode, though.

That's what I thought too. Wasn't that the original reason why Canon recommended turning IS off when the camera is on a tripod?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA