cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5DMkIV AF Settings for Swim Meets

eagoergens
Apprentice

I have been shooting indoor high school swim meets for 6-ish years with a 70-200 f:/2.8L IS on a 7d (using AI Servo). The 7D has provided very good hit rates, with two exception; low-light capability, and sometimes focusing on water splashes in front of the swimmer's face. 

I recently (two days ago) acquired a 5dMkIV and decided to get serious about understanding AF. 

1. After reading the first 160 pages of the manual, it appears my best bet for swimming is AI Servo, Case 2?

2. I can't decide which AF Area to use. I always used Single Point, but after reading the manual, am undecided. Everything from Zone, Large Zone to Automatic look like good possibilities.

3. Then I read about iTR with Face Priority and they all look even better.

Does anyone have significant experience with using the MkIV for swim meets and an opinion? Thanks!

21 REPLIES 21

Dan,

Try bracketing.  You might get the best of the best with it. Your Mk IV does it almost effortlessly.

Sometimes folks go gonzo on the AF mode when just the very simplest one will work. One shot and center focus point is most likely the best.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Dan,

Try bracketing.  You might get the best of the best with it. Your Mk IV does it almost effortlessly.

Sometimes folks go gonzo on the AF mode when just the very simplest one will work. One shot and center focus point is most likely the best.

Dan is not using a 5D4.  He is using a 6D2.  Dan did not start this thread.  He hijacked it.  This is why I encourage people to start their own thread for their issue.  Hijacking threads creates confusion, which you are demonstrating.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements