cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5DMK4 dual card write question

farkle-edina
Apprentice

Setting up the camera to write to both cards concurrently was pretty straightforward.  After both identically-sized cards are formatted, I'd strongly prefer RAW files go to the SD card and the JPGs do to the CF card.  Is there a way to reverse that behaviour?  

Second, I think that the RAW files go to the larger of the cards.  I suspect I could put a larger card in the SD slot ...?  I can test this but I just thought of it while writing this question.  Any experience from other users to address this orginal question regarding concurrently writing to like-sized cards?

Thank you.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Crowbar
Apprentice

Hello, in the Set Up 1 (Yellow Wrecnh) menu of your camera you can desginate your camera to record to multiple cards. Once that setting is set up you can navigate to the Shoot1 (Red Camera) menu and the first option will be Image Quality allowing you to set which card records which type of file.

View solution in original post

@Crowbar wrote:

Hello, in the Set Up 1 (Yellow Wrecnh) menu of your camera you can desginate your camera to record to multiple cards. Once that setting is set up you can navigate to the Shoot1 (Red Camera) menu and the first option will be Image Quality allowing you to set which card records which type of file.

Thank you!  Once you directed me to the correct menu, it was easy!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Changing or defining what file format and size is written to each card should be straight forward, too.  Have you tried to set it?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Crowbar
Apprentice

@Crowbar wrote:

@farkle-edina wrote:

@Crowbar wrote:

The 5D4 is a pretty sophisticated camera. You're probably going to enjoy yours a lot. Note, in particular, that it has a full-time level that displays in the viewfinder. You'll probably want to turn it on if it isn't on by default.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

angierobins
Contributor

I am new i bought a 5D Mark iii and a 70-200 f2.8 lens what is the fastest card out there for this camera.  I want to capture sports clearly.

You need to read the other posts that fully answer you question. BTW, a fast CF card has no effect to "capture sports clearly".

A slower CF is just as "clear" as the fastest as long as it is a top rated brand CF card.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jaewoosong
Rising Star
Rising Star

ideally if you're dual writing to both cards, the larger raw files should go to the faster card (typically CF) and the smaller files to the slower card (typically SD).  However, with canon cameras, the write speed of the CF card will be limited to the speed of the SD card so clearing the buffer will be slower (vs CF card only).  So in this case, it really doesn't matter which file type you write to which card.  If speed is top concern, don't dual write and use only CF card for both JPG and RAW files.

Quick Tip: Optimize Canon 5D Mark III Write Speeds – Avoid Using SD Cards - BorrowLenses Blog

I typically only use the SD card as a extra just in case i run out of space on CF card.  However, leaving SD card in the body will also limit the write speed on the CF card so I leave the card out most of the time (i'll leave it in during vacation as high speed burst mode is usually not needed).

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)
Announcements