cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5DMIV- brand new what is going on?

justb19
Apprentice

I just upgraded from a 5DMII because ive heard great things about this camera especially the focusing system. I tested it out at a family gathering the other day and i'm not sure what is going on but i need some advice. Image is grainy and not sharp at all. Shot with 50mm1.2L.. iso 800.. f2.5.. 1/100. Focus was on his face.. one shot. What is going on here? There are also other images where i have two subjects heads together.. nice and close shot with f2.8 and one is in focus and one is slightly off focus. Any help would be so appreciated!

iso800.. f2.5.. 1_100.. 50mm 1.2L.png

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What is going on?  You're not going to like my answer.  The problem in this sample photo is operator, IMHO.  How much experience do you have with DSLRs?  

What I am about to say is all basic "Exposure Triangle" stuff.  Your subject appears to be moving too fast for your shutter speed.  Not only is your subject moving, which changes the subject distance to the camera, but you used One Shot mode, and appear to have misssed focus as a result.  Using AI Servo AF mode would have been better, but not the complete cure.

You are using a wide aperture to focus on a subject that is close to the camera, which is how you create background blur.  Because of you narrow Depth-of-Field you must nail focus on the subject to the figurative wall.  You missed it, probably due to using One Shot mode, and too slow of a shutter speed.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Many years of experience! No offense taken at all. I'm certainly not perfect. I have shot a couple dancing with these same settings and gotten crisp clear images with my 5dmii.. In camera i didnt notice an issue but saw it on the upload. Perhaps it was me. But with the other issues with images taken outside with iso 125..f 2.8 and 1/320 when the subject is completely still.. i'm just horribly concerned its the camera and wanted a second opinion from some smart folks. Thanks so much for yours.

@justb19 wrote:

Many years of experience! No offense taken at all. I'm certainly not perfect. I have shot a couple dancing with these same settings and gotten crisp clear images with my 5dmii.. In camera i didnt notice an issue but saw it on the upload. Perhaps it was me. But with the other issues with images taken outside with iso 125..f 2.8 and 1/320 when the subject is completely still.. i'm just horribly concerned its the camera and wanted a second opinion from some smart folks. Thanks so much for yours.

Post the other sample photo.  Another issue with your initial sample is that it is uniformly out-of-focus.  This is usually a tell tale for camera motion blur.  

You are using a much higher resolution camera compared to a 5D2.  I suggest that you learn to double your SS compared to what you may have used in the past.  Do not be afraid to push the ISO a little.  The camera can handle it with ease.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have had the same setup for years so this is a learning curve. Thats true about the resolution i did not even take that into account. I cant find the other image now i may have deleted but if i can i will post it. Thank you for the tips!

Announcements