cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5DMIII memory cards

miklosphoto
Apprentice

I read through all the manual but still could not figure out how to ensure that I use the CF card after I take it out and then insert it back into the camera while there is also an SD card inserted. Currently, I always have to go into the menu and switch manually back to the CF slot. Is there a way that it is always automatically the CF slot which is used?

Any fix for this?

5 REPLIES 5

Ed1715
Contributor

I don't have the 5DMIII but I do have the 1DMK IV.  If I power the camera on while the CF card is removed the camera defaults to the SD card and remains that way until I change it back.  Same if I remove the CF card while the camera is powered on.  I don't know if that helps in your case.

Ed

40D, 1D MKIV, 28-135mm, 24-70mmf2.8L, 70-200mmf2.8L, 500mmf4.0L, 580EXII, Gitzo3530LS w/Wimberly Gimbal, Manfrotto 190XBPROB and a bunch of other stuff.

Harv
Contributor

Nope.  No way to change that.  That's the default way the 5D Mark III is set up.  I have the same camera and have been in touch with Canon customer service regarding this issue.

Frankly, I find it to be very annoying, but there is no fix for it.  If you leave the card door open and re-insert the card, it will remain on Card 1.  Once you close the door, even with power off, it switches to the SD card.  All you can do is leave the door open until you replace the CF card or leave the SD card slot empty.  That's what I finally did.  I shoot without an SD card in the camera.

Harv
Contributor

P.S.  The 1Dx functions the same way.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The camera only remembers what card you prefer to use if the card you prefer is _always_ present when the camera is powered up.  

If you ever power it up when that card is not present, the camera will switch to the other card (becasue there's no other option.)  At that point, you'd have to manually switch it back to your CF card (or power it up when the SD card isn't present and it'll swap back.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thank you all for the replies. Well, I guess I will just try the "open door" trick then. By the way, I only power on the camera when I insert the CF card back in the camera that is it happens either way. I like to keep the SD card still in the camera as a safety back-up in case something goes wrong with my Cf card.

Announcements