cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5DM3 trade up

monkey44
Contributor

I've been using 5DM3s for years - and am thinking upgrade time.  My delimma - do I go to 5DM4 - OR - what is the benefit or not switching to Mirrorless.

I shoot sports and action wildlife ... so lenses  ... 24/105, 70/200, 100/400  and they get used more than others. Also own 16/35 and 24/70.   I live very rural and have no local shops to "test out" a mirrorless, so would like an opinion about this possible switch from anyone that has done it ...  Pros and Cons - how different does it operate.  What about quality of images compared to 5DM3

I'd have to online rent one, and wait, and ship it back and all the bother - would like some info / opinion before going thru that hassle.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks both of you -- I figured that would be an answer, but have only just joined this forum, so have not seen the rehash of this Q...   I'd pretty much thought 5DM4 would be my choice, Love the 5DM3 (own two) but am just updating as one is getting a bit old and cranky.  Will keep newer one for backup - you never know !!!

Putting in order probably over the weekend - Generally use B&H for all my gear - no grey mkt deals for me.  Thanks again, and have a great holiday season... On to 2020... 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

@monkey44 wrote:

I've been using 5DM3s for years - and am thinking upgrade time.  My delimma - do I go to 5DM4 - OR - what is the benefit or not switching to Mirrorless.

I shoot sports and action wildlife ... so lenses  ... 24/105, 70/200, 100/400  and they get used more than others. Also own 16/35 and 24/70.   I live very rural and have no local shops to "test out" a mirrorless, so would like an opinion about this possible switch from anyone that has done it ...  Pros and Cons - how different does it operate.  What about quality of images compared to 5DM3

I'd have to online rent one, and wait, and ship it back and all the bother - would like some info / opinion before going thru that hassle.  

Haven't we had an exhaustive discussion of this topic at least once already?

The bottom line is that the 5D Mark IV is a proven, sophisticated design that's a step above the Mark III. (I particularly like its full-time level.) The EOS R is Canon's first attempt at a professional-quality mirrorless camera. It has some very nice features, but also some startup eccentricities that may be smoothed over in the next version (R-2?), Really, the choice depends on what it's worth to you to be an innovator using the latest technology versus how important it is that everything work smoothly from the start.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

@monkey44 wrote:

Given that you shoots sports action and wildlife, and have an extensive investment in EF lenses I would go for the 5D4.  Canon have already made a statement about their preference for action with the release of the 1DX MkIII, with the obvious market of professional sports photographers using it for the next Olympics.   Like Ebiggs1, I would say that as a sports platform the EOS R series has yet to prove itself - and while I expect to see advancements in that area in the future, I don't think it's there yet.

I have a 5DIV and it's a great piece of kit.  So far it has provided all that I need in terms of shooting - and I am a wildlife and scenic photographer, but also shoot some sporting activities.  One nice thing is the almost identical layout of the controls and menus - for me being able to put my hand to a control without looking is priceless.  I couple all of my camera bodies with battery grips: not only for the capacity, but for the balance with a hefty telephoto lens.  The R series is much lighter so will tend to feel "nose heavy" with your lenses - they are bringing out new, ligher and more compact RF lenses (like the 70-200) but there is much water to go under the bridge before I could say they have said goodbye to the EF line-up.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks both of you -- I figured that would be an answer, but have only just joined this forum, so have not seen the rehash of this Q...   I'd pretty much thought 5DM4 would be my choice, Love the 5DM3 (own two) but am just updating as one is getting a bit old and cranky.  Will keep newer one for backup - you never know !!!

Putting in order probably over the weekend - Generally use B&H for all my gear - no grey mkt deals for me.  Thanks again, and have a great holiday season... On to 2020... 

"The EOS R is Canon's first attempt at a professional-quality mirrorless camera"

The EOS R is not even in the class of a pro level camera.   If it don't look like and is built like a 1 series it ain't pro level.   At best it is a prosummer model.

But the answer to the OP's question is without doubt go with the Mk IV.  If you liked/loved your Mk III you will only like the Mk IV even more.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements