cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5DIV 29:59 video limit with Sandisk 256GB

jofische
Apprentice

I've read you can record longer than 29:59 minutes using the Sandisk 256 card exiff formated by the camera or fomatted in in a pC to exiff - whihch I have done both ways. Still I cannot record longer than 30 minutes, specifically using 1080p 60fps video in any format.  Is there any way to overcome the 29:59 limit using the Sandisk 256GB card?

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This is not  limitation of the SanDisk Card, or any card for that matter.

Its a limitation of the camera.  DLSR won't record longer than 29:59 due to regulation and classification reasons.  Once the 30 min mark is reached, the camera is designated a camcorder, not a camera.

Primary reason: Camcorders have a higher import tax.  Thank the EU for this. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Rick provided the correct explanation but I will add that in many cases you are stressing the heat rejection capability of a DSLR long before you hit the "EU VAT" timeout. 

Regardless of offering video capability, a DSLR (and mirrorless with video capability) is designed first as a still image camera that provides some video capability.  Depending upon their intended usage, still cameras have weather resistance ranging from "so so" in the lower end consumer bodies increasing to very good at the EOS 1DX level and that means a well sealed body which isn't good for shedding the tremendous heat buildup that occurs from running the sensor, A to D converter, and associated processors and supporting component cast at an effective 100% duty cycle while shooting video. I suspect the 1DX 2 is the best of the current Canon DSLR bodies at rejecting heat buildup during video but as the manual for mine clearly states it can overheat while shooting video and the area around the memory cards including the cards themselves may be far too hot to comfortably touch during sustained video operation.

A camcorder gives up some of this robustness against weather in order to provide sufficient cooling.  Although my 1DX M2 produces nice 4K video and has "heat pipes" designed to dump heat into the battery compartment to keep the more critical parts from growing as hot, I rely upon a XF-400 camcorder (with its fan set to run continuously when I am in hot weather) for sustained video shooting.  If you want to use your EF lens collection for extensive video then take a look at the EOS cinema family, for my use the form factor and optical capabilities of the XF-400 were fine and if I want to use one of my long telephoto primes for video I will use it on the 1DX 2 but not for long periods of time.

If you use your 5DIV primarily in cooler ambient temperatures without direct sun hitting the body it will probably be OK during these longer sessions but if you try to do sustained shooting in high ambient don't be surprised when it goes into protect mode to avoid rapid component damage; repeatedly heating it to high temperatures shy of the protect trigger point will reduce component life.  

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

I was at a significant news event the other day. There were 20+ give or take photographers there. They all had a nice DSLR, mostly Canon, BTW.  90% of them were shooting video with them. I don't know how hot they got, I didn't ask!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
“Its a limitation of the camera. DLSR won't record longer than 29:59 due to regulation and classification reasons. Once the 30 min mark is reached, the camera is designated a camcorder, not a camera.”

Sony has recently released a firmware upgrade for their full frame bodies that removes the time limit. It would seem that the current US administration has rolled back that tax rule
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:
“Its a limitation of the camera. DLSR won't record longer than 29:59 due to regulation and classification reasons. Once the 30 min mark is reached, the camera is designated a camcorder, not a camera.”

Sony has recently released a firmware upgrade for their full frame bodies that removes the time limit. It would seem that the current US administration has rolled back that tax rule

I don't believe the US ever had that tax rule. We've always been given to understand that the manufacturers simply didn't want to juggle two otherwise identical models, one of which would be legal in the US but unsellable in the EU.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements