cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5DIII Auto ISO in Manual + exposure compensation

pvk
Contributor

Hi everyone,

You can use Exposure Compensation in Av, Tv, or P Mode to slightly adjust the exposure that the camera is selecting. In Av mode, you fix Av and ISO, the camera selects the shutter speed with the correction from the overcompensation.

In M mode with Auto ISO, I really don't understand why the Exposure Compensation is not present. In M mode, I would like to fix apperture, shutter speed, and use Auto ISO to do the last fine tuning, but here I can't select Exposure Compensation. 

I guess this comes from the days where you had to fix the ISO in the low 100 to 400, but now you have so much more room to play with this, having Exposure Compensation with Auto ISO would really help me. I now usually manually set the ISO to overexpose and check the histogram, but camera could help me with slight changes in lighting if I could use Auto ISO.

PvK

42 REPLIES 42

cicopo
Elite

To the best of my knowledge EC doesn't work on any Canon body when in M. I would assume the idea that the photographer is in charge of all settings is why they've gone that route. We choose what we think will do the job & fine tune with a shot or 2 either side of that first setting. Shooting in RAW gives us even more control re the exposure after the fact but it can't change the effect of the shutter speed or aperture on the image.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

That is what I thought Cicopo.

My argument is to change that, in Auto ISO mode, I have even more control when I could have EC.

But aren't they conflicting terms? Auto & manual are opposites. Full manual should be just that so we choose every setting & not just most. Just my opinion of course but it is based on what I was taught. Shooting in full manual removes any & all variables that we may not think to reset.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@cicopo wrote:

But aren't they conflicting terms? Auto & manual are opposites. Full manual should be just that so we choose every setting & not just most. Just my opinion of course but it is based on what I was taught. Shooting in full manual removes any & all variables that we may not think to reset.

Sure, that's fine, but you're arguing semantics.  What do you call shooting in M with Auto-ISO?  Because you can do that, you just have no control over what the camera uses as a baseline to choose the ISO.

I've never used Auto ISO before getting a 6D, but I've found it handy.  If I'm in a situation where I want a specific DOF, and I need a minimum shutter speed, the Auto ISO can be really helpful if there are varied lighting conditions.   I just want to set the EC down 2/3 a stop.  I don't care if I can't tell people I'm shooting in full manual; I don't care what it's called...  it'd be a useful feature that seems so easy to implement.

They should disable AUTO ISO in M mode. Problem solved. M mode should be manual.

If you want to maintain certain DOF, shutter speed and using auto ISO, then use Av mode. Auto ISO let you set minimum shutter speed to maintain.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

pvk
Contributor

@hsbn wrote:
They should disable AUTO ISO in M mode. Problem solved.
Not sure which problem that solves, as you can already fix the ISO to any setting. Auto ISO gives you the ability to fix both  apperture and shutter speed and have Auto ISO deal with fast changing light conditions. 

You can use Av mode since Auto ISO let you maintain certain shutter speed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

I rarely shoot in M but when I do I don't want the camera to have any say in the settings I've dialed in. All I want from it is the capture to card. I have been using Auto ISO but recently had it over ride my chosen ISO setting for some flash photography. I hadn't expected it to do that & I think I'm going to reset the camera to no longer allow the ISO shift even though it's been handy shooting R/C events.

@hsbn wrote:

They should disable AUTO ISO in M mode. Problem solved. M mode should be manual.

If you want to maintain certain DOF, shutter speed and using auto ISO, then use Av mode. Auto ISO let you set minimum shutter speed to maintain.

I love how the talk of Manual mode brings out the elitist in people.  Elitists with their dSLRs with light meters, instant image viewing, RAW post-process corrections, and everything else.  But Manual is Manual.   Your suggestion is assinine.; it offers no usefulness, it only would limit the abilities of the camera further.    Why do you care if people use this mode?  Fine, it's not Full Manual, but who cares what it's called?  It's a useful setting.  I find it comical that you're arguing using Av mode, which is similar but more limiting than what we're discussing, yet you think Auto ISO should be disabled. 

Your suggestion to use Av is a compromise at most.  I almost always have a DoF in mind when I compose a shot, so I always choose my aperture.  If shutter speed isn't a concern and there are variable light conditions then I'll use Av; but for static situations I'd usually go Manual.  But there are times when I need to control my speed too - usually if I'm shooting hand held in low light conditions I want to make sure I don't go below 1/60 or so.  Or, if I'm shooting moving subjects  I'll want to be higher, maybe a minimum of 1/150 - 1/250, depending on subject speed.  My go to would be manual, but if I'm shooting moving subjects in a variable light situation why would I not use Auto-ISO?  For the pride of saying I shot full manual? If I have a setting that allow me to walk away with significantly more keepers you better believe I'm going to use it.

Announcements