cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5DIII AF Microadjustment for manual lens?

Cunha
Rising Star

Will I be able to do AF Microadjustment for lens with manual focus only?

"AF" means AutoFocus, I know, but I´ve doubts.

My two manual lenses are:

1. Canon MP-E 65mm Macro x1-x5 f/2,8 (this is a very particular lens which focus only by moving the lens itself; no focus ring available).

2. Zeiss ZE 85mm f/1,4 (manual focus only)

Thank you very much.

Regards.

11 REPLIES 11

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I believe No is the correct answer. You can verify by mounting the lens and seeing if its recognized in the AFMA menu.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you for your help.
When mounted the AFMA menu says:

1. For the Canon lens:
MP-E65mm f/2,8 1-5x Macro Photo

2. For the Zeiss ZE (Zeiss for Canon):
85mm; only ,-(

I guess this feature is just for AF lens, even because the focusing procedure in supposed to be done using the AF function with the lens widest aperture; no?

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Does camera allow you to select +/- ? When you hold shutter button halfway down and manually focus do you get a beep indicating in-focus?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

With the "tricky" Canon Macro, no, because the focusing procedure in as I explained, moving the whole lens forward and back with the aid of a focusing rail.

With the Zeiss ZE 85mm f/1,4 I´ve the confirmation beep and also the green dot confirmation like an AF Canon lens. This Zeiss communicates with the body like a Canon lens. The only difference is the manual focus (a butter smooth one ,-)

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Even though it doesn't tell you what lens, does it have a scale for +/- adjust?

If so, take a picture at zero with beep and verify focus. Then dial in a -20 and see if image is still in focus when it beeps.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I´m sorry; yes I´ve that +/- AF scale -20...0...+20.
I´ll do some tests.
Thanks a lot JR ,-)

ScottyP
Authority
Even if the body will let you apply a + - AUTOfocus micro adjustment, what the heck would that even do on a manual lens, not to mention the MPE65 which focuses bu moving the camera closer or farther from the target?
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Aren't focus errors between AF focus and Live View sensor a combination of camera error and lens error. Can AFMA compensate for camera error in manual mode?

If an EF lens in AF mode sets off the Green Dot in contrast AF in Auto, but isn't in sharpest focus on the sensor, would the same lens in Manual Focus mode set off the green dot at the same or a different position - i.e. would the lens focus error be out of the process at that point?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

😉 "AF"MA
Announcements