cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5DII USB Connection Failure

warc1
Apprentice
I accidentally yanked the USB cable from the camera while downloading. Now, I cannot get my computer to recognize any subsequent USB connection to the 5DII with an error message stating that is a malfunctioning USB device. Is there any reset I can do to fix this or is this likely now a hardware issue requiring Canon servicing? I've tried pulling all of the batteries, including the clock battery and this had no effect.
2 REPLIES 2

Maybe you grunched the cable itself. Do you have another one you can try? The other obvious possibility is that you damaged the connector on the camera. But check the cable first, because it's a cheaper fix.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

amfoto1
Authority

Have you tried a different memory card in the camera?

It's possible that interrupting the download has damaged files on the card that was in the camera at the time, and that's what's now now causing your connectivity issues. Another card may work fine.

And, to finish the download you may need to run an image recovery software on the memory card that was in the camera at the time of interruption. Even then, you may lose some of the images that were on it.

Hopefully the USB socket in the camera isn't damaged. Not sure if it's the case with the 5DII in particular, but many cameras have the USB socket built into the main circuit board. So if it's damaged, often the entire board needs to be replaced and that's pricey.

This is one of the reasons I always use a card reader, rather than downloading via the USB cable. A card reader may be faster, too. There's some risk removing and reinserting the memory cards in the camera, of eventually wearing or damaging the memory card socket. But, in hundreds of card swaps over the years, I've never had a problem. Also, if it ever does need replacement, the memory card socket is an easier and cheaper repair.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

Announcements