cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D4 Frame Grab size

jemanner
Contributor

Canon specifies a 8.8 megpixel frame grab from 4K videos with the 5D4. However, experimenting a bit grabbing few frames, only getting about 2.8MB. Yes, I have the recommended speed of cards, of which frame grabs from both are only 2.5-2.8 MB. Is there a variable I am overlooking? Megapixels do not equate to the file size?

7 REPLIES 7

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@jemanner wrote:

Canon specifies a 8.8 megpixel frame grab from 4K videos with the 5D4. However, experimenting a bit grabbing few frames, only getting about 2.8MB. Yes, I have the recommended speed of cards, of which frame grabs from both are only 2.5-2.8 MB. Is there a variable I am overlooking? Megapixels do not equate to the file size?

Megapixels do not equate to the JPG file size. Look at the dimensions of your frame grab photo.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

How are you grabbing the frames of video?  Some software does nothing more than take a snapshot of the screen.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Using the built-in function of the camera, and the instruction manual indicates the captured frame will be 8.8 megapixels. As the previous post pointed out, megapixels does not equal MB. However, when I take a RAW photo, the resulting file size is 31 MB, and the camera has a 30.4 megapixel sensor. So, it correlates there. Still a bit confused.

Have you looked at the pixel dimensions of the image, yet, ast TTMartin suggested?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@jemanner wrote:

Using the built-in function of the camera, and the instruction manual indicates the captured frame will be 8.8 megapixels. As the previous post pointed out, megapixels does not equal MB. However, when I take a RAW photo, the resulting file size is 31 MB, and the camera has a 30.4 megapixel sensor. So, it correlates there. Still a bit confused.

In designing a RAW file format, you don't dare sacrifice any data, and RAW images don't take well to lossless compression. So your options for doing any compression of the original data are severely limited. JPEG images are a different story. Some lossless compression is possible; and there are several levels of lossy compression, each of which adds only a little to the degradation of the image. So you should expect a JPEG file to be somewhat smaller than its corresponding RAW file would be.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@jemanner wrote:

The differnce is one is RAW and the other is JPG. 

Change your camera to capture RAW + JPG and compare the two file sizes of your 30 megapixel images.

jemanner
Contributor

Good to go! The captured image is 4096 x 2160 pixels. Thanks to all who repiled. Just a novice at this...

Announcements