cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D4: AF Area Selection Button customization

ron5d
Apprentice

With all the new customization possibilities, I would love to switch between "High-speed continuous shooting" and "Low-speed continuous shooting" (aka silent mode) pressing the 'AF Area Selection Button'. Unfortunately this is currently not implemented in the firmware (1.0.3). 

Where can I place this suggestion in order to have Canon consider the request? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I don't know whether or not there is a Suggestion Box.  Product Support might listen.

You can switch between drive modes, but just not with that particular button.  Use custom modes, on the mode dial.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I don't know whether or not there is a Suggestion Box.  Product Support might listen.

You can switch between drive modes, but just not with that particular button.  Use custom modes, on the mode dial.

Thank you for your reply. Are you saying I can switch drive modes but only with the mode dial? Or is there a setting allowing me to change drive modes with other buttons (if so, which buttons?)? I know the mode dial obviously, but would be interested in a quicker possibility, like just as long as I'm pressing a button, though.

Setting up a custom mode allows for a camera configuration change in one step.

You can change drive modes by pressing the <DRIVE * AF> button on the top panel, adjacent to the LCD, and rotating the control dial on the rear of the camera.  Refer to page 160 in the Instruction Manaul.

Oh, that button. Yes, of course. But it isn't as handy as simply pressing a button to switch between two pre-configured drive modes, unfortunately. Thank you anyway.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I'm not sure if this will be helpful, but I'll offer it...

This is basically what the C1, C2, and C3 mode positions on your mode dial are intended to do.

You can configure the camera to some combinations of settings and then you "register" that to a custom position (C1, C2, or C3).  You can then configure the camera to a different combination of settings and then "register" that to a different custom position.   You can flip between settings (globally changing everything) just by turning the mode dial.

The downside about the custom positions is that they change "everything" (meaning every single setting currently on your camera will be programmed to the custom position when you register it.  You cannot register only the shutter drive mode but ignore everything else.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Yup, the C1 - C3 are well known and you've correctly mentioned their downside: I would really like to just change drive mode. The new mark IV has so many features already built in, it wouldn't take much effort to implement this one too.
Announcements