cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D3: No exposure compensation in manual mode.

MLS
Apprentice

I emailed Canon regarding lack of exposure compensation in manual mode on the 5D3.  They sent me the reply below.  Hoping for a firmware update to correct this issue.  If anyone else has an issue with this, please consider letting Canon know your position.  I find this seriously limits the camera's usefulness to me as a bird photographer.  

"Thank you for contacting Canon product support regarding your EOS 5D Mark III. I understand you are interested in exposure compensation when shooting in manual mode. I am happy to assist you.

You are correct that this model does not have exposure compensation in manual mode. This is something that I can submit to our engineers for consideration and may be incorporated in a future firmware release. Please note that decisions to include a particular camera feature are made by our engineers and product designers in Japan, based on a number of factors. Consumer demand, technological limitations, and customer feedback are all taken in to consideration."

23 REPLIES 23

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

This is where I do the face-palm.

The point of manual mode... is not to have the camera "automatically" changing the exposure for you.

If you'd like to dial in exposure compensation... just change your f-stop, shutter speed, or ISO.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

"I've read this complaint before & simply don't understand the idea."   What?  Smiley Frustrated

I am with the two above posts!  Why?  Move the dial.  Yoy moved it to where it is move it again and "compensate".

"The point of manual mode... is not to have the camera "automatically" changing the exposure for you."

Correct.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
I don't want to hear it!

There don’t read it. Nobody cares!
It is just a good thing you guys were not photographing in the 70s, 80s, or even the 90s. You would have never made it!
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:
I don't want to hear it!

There don’t read it. Nobody cares!
It is just a good thing you guys were not photographing in the 70s, 80s, or even the 90s. You would have never made it!

Exactly.  Nobody cares.  No one wants to listen to a dinosaur whine and complain about things he does not understand.  Like It said, if you have a problem with it, then take it up with Canon.  I did not design the cameras.  I did not petition Canon to add the feature, either.  

I don't want to hear it!  If you want to complain about it, then LEAVE my name out of it.  Thank-you.  RTFM, dude.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements