cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D3 + AF assist beam = slower focus

Carerra911
Contributor

Hello All,

While I am new on these forums I have been on the Canon Rumors Forums for a few years now, 

I really wanted to bring this too the attention of you and Canon as it is simply a highly important problem, those of you that don't know, the 5D3 suffers serious focus locking issues when a Canon speedite is attached in Low light, the AF assist beam causes lag with the AF from the 5D3, this makes it virtually impossible to achieve focus in low light when the speedlite is attached, I wanted to bring the topic to this forum, so I have pasted a link to all the discussion we have already had about this problem at Canon Rumors.com - see below

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=10275.0

Please help in letting Canon know this is a very serious problem and effects the cameras performance in most working environments when a speedlite is attached and working in low light, conferences, nightclub work, weddings etc, and can stop the photographer completing the job or task.

Regards

Louis

www.louisamore.com
180 REPLIES 180

will there be a firmware update for EOS 600D and 60D as well?

Hey guys...I am saying farewell...sold my mark3 body and have returned to the mark 2's...honestly...I don't miss the 3 at all...but

then I am not generally shooting jumping dogs, etc. The file quality actually seems a little smoother on the 2...at least up to

1600 iso. I have put a bid on a 1ds mark3...I think this might be the camera for me for a while. good luck and I will stay up

to date and see what happens on this forum

Can I ask how shortly we might expect to hear about a release date? Are we expecting this fireware update, with the April release for the HDMI out, or will there be two seperate updates?

I'm just wanting to know some sort of time frame...

Many thanks 🙂

According to my Canon CPS rep. The update will be out at the end of April with the next Firmware update or shortly after.

zim
Contributor

Very good news indeed. I’m probably just as happy because of the signal this sends that such a large corporate organisation are actually engaging with its customers (especially professionals) and not just paying lip service to them.

I see no reason to be anything but optimistic until proven otherwise

Well done Canon

and thanks to Louis et al for pushing

glongstaff
Contributor

thats excellent news...just hope nothing crops up from the amendments  Smiley Very Happy

EOS 5D MKIII + EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Sigma DG 150-500 5-6.3 APO HSM, , EF 55-200mm 4.5-5.6 USM, Speedlite 430EXII

EOS 350D, EFS 18-55mm

Stephen

Hi everyone,

We have an update on this topic. The estimated release date for the firmware update for the EOS 5D Mark III digital SLR camera is late April. 2013 and the estimated release date for the firmware update for the EOS-1D X digital SLR camera is late May 2013, as noted in the following product advisory:
"Service Notice: EOS 5D Mark III and EOS-1D X: acquire focus when using Speedlite's AF Assist Beam"

Great. Thanks Stephen. The 5D3 will really rock after the update.    

Forgot to say Stephen, Canon has restored my faith as at least you are listening. I'm sure you get feedback from the masters like Syl Arena to mention one that more than likely helps the cause. I could be wrong and perhaps these forums were the key to the fix. Either way good news.  

The 5D2 is an excellent body but I wanted the Pro AF. That last upgrade was not inexpensive (none of them are) and I was not thrilled when I learned abou this. 

how about the 600D which faces the same problem?
Announcements