Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

5D2 or EOS M(?)

Hello,

I am looking into getting a camera with a restricted budget, but I can't figure out what I want from it. I travel once or twice a year and once I do get this camera I will bring it with me to take pictures of anything - from food to street photography.

I currently can use a 7D with 15-85 and 70-200 2.8 MK2, but I'd like to get into full frame with a small budget as I don't know what's on the horizon with the initial release of the EOS R. I was going to get a 5D3, but I think it might be a good idea to save the money for a used EOS R or it's successor down the line.

The 5D2 I look at hover around $650-700 CAD (~$500 USD). I plan to get a cheap 24-70 2.8 (~$500) to compliment it. If I have some change left behind I'll get a 50 STM. Later down the line, probably save up for a 16-35 F4 as well.

If I were to get a EOS M camera I'm not sure which camera I would want. I really want a viewfinder so that leaves me with M5/M50 or M3/6 with the optional EVF.

Obviously the EOS M stuff is miles ahead in terms of technology and age, but I am so curious about the "magic" of full frame. Weight isn't an issue, so I really don't mind how big or small a camera is.

Any tips on this problem? Thanks!

Highlighted
VIP

Re: 5D2 or EOS M(?)

You do know all the previous mirrorless Canon cameras are not FF.  Just the newest ones are.

I don't really understand some of your post but this seems to say, "... use a 7D with 15-85 and 70-200 2.8 MK2, but I'd like to get into full frame ..." go with the 5D2 or better 5D3. And, that is exactly what I would do.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Highlighted
VIP

Re: 5D2 or EOS M(?)

@mickeyrockson wrote:

Hello,

I am looking into getting a camera with a restricted budget, but I can't figure out what I want from it. I travel once or twice a year and once I do get this camera I will bring it with me to take pictures of anything - from food to street photography.

I currently can use a 7D with 15-85 and 70-200 2.8 MK2, but I'd like to get into full frame with a small budget as I don't know what's on the horizon with the initial release of the EOS R. I was going to get a 5D3, but I think it might be a good idea to save the money for a used EOS R or it's successor down the line.

The 5D2 I look at hover around $650-700 CAD (~$500 USD). I plan to get a cheap 24-70 2.8 (~$500) to compliment it. If I have some change left behind I'll get a 50 STM. Later down the line, probably save up for a 16-35 F4 as well.

If I were to get a EOS M camera I'm not sure which camera I would want. I really want a viewfinder so that leaves me with M5/M50 or M3/6 with the optional EVF.

Obviously the EOS M stuff is miles ahead in terms of technology and age, but I am so curious about the "magic" of full frame. Weight isn't an issue, so I really don't mind how big or small a camera is.

Any tips on this problem? Thanks!

If you want to get into full frame on a budget, then I suggest a genuine factory refurbished EOS 6D from the Canon Online Refurbished Store, which is for US customers only.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-6d-body-refurbished

You will like it.  If you know how to process RAW files, then you will love it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."