cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D sensor cracks

smcdaniel
Apprentice

My 5D sensor has developed cracks along one edge.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?  The camera has not been dropped or abused.  The same camera's mirror fell out about 2 years ago, which Canon fixed free, as it resulted from a defect.  This time, they want $1950 to repair it.

5 REPLIES 5

hsbn
Whiz
Sensor damage is not worth repairing. Just buy a new camera and abuse the current one 😄
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

amfoto1
Authority

Sensor "cracks" sounds odd. Not sure how that could happen. I'd suspect it's separation of the AA filter that covers the filter, or perhaps seepage of excess cleaning fluid under that filter (between it and the sensor), or some damage to and loss of coatings on the filter. (I seem to recall certain cleaning fluids were too strong and known to damage the coatings in the original 5D's AA filter... later cameras seem to have tougher coatings and sensor cleaning fluids have been improved, too).

That cost to repair does sound excessive. This is a Canon forum and they may shoot me for suggesting it, but you might check around locally to see if anyone can repair it for less money. Canon would replace the entire sensor assembly with a new one, I'm fairly certain. A local independent repairer, given a look at the camera, might be able to suggest alternative, less expensive repairs. Not knowing where in the world you are, I can't recommend anyone, but there are independent camera repair techs in most major metropolitan areas.

Might be all that's needed is replacement of the AA filter over the sensor. Or it might be possible to remove it, clean it and the sensor, then reinstall  the filter. There are also outfits online who specialize in converting cameras for IR, which involves removing and/or replacing that filter. They might have good usable spares cheap, as well as the knowledge to do the repair at lower cost. I believe some others remove the AA filter entirely simply to produce the greatest image detail possible (but at the cost of some additional moiré that might occur in some images).

If you decide to simply replace the whole camera, original 5D are a relative bargain on the used market. And you might be able to sell yours as a "parts camera", recoup part of your cost of replacement. Someone might buy it to do an IR conversion, or to remove the AA filter.  Just be up front about what's wrong with it and, if possible, show them photos of the issue.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Dear Allen:

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.  On closer examination with a microscope, I found that it is, indeed, the filter that is cracked.  Shadows of the cracks appear on the sensor underneath, which appears undamaged. I have considered removing the filter for IR photography, but don't know how to do it without damage to the camera.  Is this a DIY job, or should I send it out?  

I have not cleaned the sensor with anything other than air (a rocket blower), so liquids are not involved, and it has not been subject to temperature extremes or dropping.  I am mystified as to the cause.  

A used 5D goes for about $600, so I would not pay $1950 for a repair.  Do you know of a good repair shop in the Baltimore or DC area?

Steve McDaniel

Manchester MD

Hi Steve,

I still find it odd that the filter over the sensor has somehow gotten cracked. Nothing impacts it normally, and it spends most of its life well hidden behind the shutter, only briefly revealed during exposure (when there is a lens on the camera "protecting" the AA filter and sensor).

Another possibility occured to me... Perhaps it's fungus. Some fungi appear like "spiderwebs" and depending upon what surface they are one, might cast a shadow as you described. Fungus can "etch"  glass or glass coatings. Fungus spores are everywhere, all the time. It just takes one inside a lens or camera, with the right moisture and light conditions, to get started growing.

Still think the most likely thing is peeling filter coatings... which I know occured on some 5D originals. Usually it was cleaning fluids that exacerbated it.

But I suppose it doesn't really matter....

Something has damaged your camera's AA filter (most likely) and you need it fixed.

Since your camera has only ever been cleaned with a bulb blower, if I were you the very first thing I'd do is a proper and careful, thorough wet cleaning. This might surprise you and clear up the problem completely and immediately. And it can't hurt to try, considering the condition of the camera. This is DIY or inexpensive to have a repair shop do if you don't feel confident doing it yourself. Read about doing it yourself at www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com and www.copperhillimagies.com to help decide if you want to try it yourself.

No, simply removing the AA filter completely doesn't convert the camera to an IR camera. Folks who do that conversion replace the AA filter with a different type of filter. I don't have a camera set up this way, don't have the details, can't really say if it's a DIY job or not (I suspect not).... but it occured to me that the folks who do the IR conversions might have hung onto some of those standard AA filters they've removed from various cameras over the yearsand might be able to replace the one in your camera fairly inexpensively. You can find IR conversion online with a Google search. Might ask over on the POTN Canon forum for recommendations from people who have had it done.

Some cameras are made without any AA filter... Other cameras sometimes people have it removed. This is  more for sort of a high definition, ultra-sharp looking images. I'm not sure I'd recommend it... since you need to be prepared to deal with or accept some moiré effects in your images. 

I can't recommend anyone in your area... What you might do is contact local pro photographers and ask them. I'm sure one or more of them can point you toward a good local repairer or two, or at least to a pro-oriented dealer.  I did this myself some years ago when I flew into your area to shoot a wedding in Baltimore... and my supplier shipped me the wrong lighting gear (three times!). I phoned several established local photographers I found in the Yellow Pages, and they pointed me to a nearby shop that rented me the gear necessary to get the jop done. That was about a decade ago, though. So even if I could remember some names, I'm not sure they'd be all that useful. A pro-oriented camera store might do sensor cleanings themselves... and may do repairs in-house or be able to recommend someone local who does. 

Hope this helps!

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

I've decided to get the filter replaced by an independent lab, quoted online at about $250.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Many thanks for your help, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Steve McDaniel

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements