cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D mk4 raw file preview windows?

spookywagons
Apprentice

Hey there,

I apologize if this has been asked before. I searched but didn't find anything.

Does anyone have a solution to watching 5D mk4 raw files in Windows? I had a mk2 before this one, no issue. My friend has the 1DX mk2, no issue.

I've googled this issue a few times but I have never managed to find a solution. I've closed all tabs in frustration and gone back to living my life but I just can't anymore. I need some sort of workaround. I can't have to intiate an import of every folder in Lightroom just to see what pictures are in that folder(I do manage my folders, but sometimes you just wanna take a quick look). There has to be some easier solution, and a free one.

I realize this is a Windows issue and not a Canon issue - but I'll be raiding forums from Canon to Windows and anything in between to see if someone has found a workaround.

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4

You can always set the default "Open with" to the DPP4 viewer.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

thanks for your reply

is the "DPP4 viewer" something other than the actual DPP4? cause if I "Open with" DPP4.exe it will open the program every time, which has to load etc. I can't seem to find a "viewer".

DPP4 does work to look through the folders, which is nice in a way, but it would be so much easier if I could just see the previews in explorer right away

On edit, it sounds like the 5DIV doesn't have an imbedded jpg so the standard viewers like IrfanView aren't going to work.  It sounds like you will have to stay with DPP or a full featured program instead of getting a fast preview.

I switched to IrfanView a LONG time ago as my default image app for Windows and it has handled every form of graphics file I have thrown at it including the RAW files from my 1DM2 and 1DX M2.  It is fast and free and also handles fairly obscure stuff like djvu files.  It also provides some basic image manipulation stuff when you want to do stuff with files on a pad or very limited PC that won't really support DPP or other heavy duty stuff.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Edit: come to think of it, it's not even necessarily CR2 since the 1DX mk2 is CR2 as well and I can open those. probably has something to do with what you mentioned about the imbedded jpg - it's weird though, why wouldn't the MK4 have that? is this a "Canon issue" after all and not necessarily a Windows one?

it almost worked... you could download a plugin for CR2 files off of IfranViews website and activate it through the preferences, but it still gave me a decode error. it said: "Note: this PlugIn requires additional Canon DLLs. You can download these DLLs with the Canon ZoomBrowser program: http://www.canon.com/ or try here: http://www.irfanview.info/plugins/canon_crw.zip (check "Readme.txt" for instructions and install!)"

but didn't work 😕 and I couldn't download the Canon ZoomBrowser either cause it doesn't work with Windows 10 or something... bummer.

thanks though

Announcements