cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D mk iv unable to connect to router FTP drive

Fixit-22
Apprentice

I am trying to connect my 5D mk iv via wifi to ftp on my computer so that I can upload pics wirelessly from the camera to the computer but I'm having difficulties.  I have a Netgear router with a usb thumb drive in the back (called READYSHARE) that is accessible to others on the network or on the web via FTP.  Here is what I see on my router page:

router ftp settings.JPG

I’ve followed the instructions in the wff manual (connecting to FTP Server pg 75) and I can see the camera had been given and ip address and appears as an attached device on the router.  The problem occurs in the last step after having entered the FTP server name or IP address.  I get an error “Cannot connect to FTP server”.  I’ve tried entering the names in the above picture as shown under link and just the ip # but nothing works.

Is this even possible?  It seems that it should be since the router appears to act as an ftp server.  I am able to access the drive from other devices on my network or the web buy using the addresses shown under link above and entering that address in a browser so it seems the camera should be able to connect to it. Let me know if you need addl information.  I need some help with this.  Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

I'm surprised that a 5D4 can even act as an FTP client. In any case, that seems an unnecessarily complex setup. Why not just put the thumb drive on the computer and treat it as a drive letter?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I'm not an FTP expert buy my understanding is the router acts as an FTP server where a thumb drive connected to a usb on the computer would not do so without added steps or changes.  Since my goal is to upload files wirelessly to media on my computer, I need an FTP server that writes to media on the computer.  The router makes that available.  I've also read that the 5D Mk iv is supposed to be able to upload to any FTP server.  Am I going wrong here or is there something I've overlooked in connected the camera to the FTP server?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

A common misconception that people have with cameras with Wi-Fi is that Wi-Fi means networkable. It does not.  Cameras are "Wi-Fi Enabled", which is a euphemism more not networkable like a lapto.  A laptop has a lot more memory to work with than a mere DSLR.

Also, your Netgear router's "ReadyShare FTP mode" actually means that it is acting like a DLNA server, not as an actual FTP Server in the classic sense of the term.  A DLNA servers primary purpose is to provide media files to clients.  The FTP server behavior is basically in one direction, FTP to client, not client uploading to FTP server.  Does that make sense?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for your interest in my post. 

I can connect to my router from any device on my network or even from any device that is on the web simply by entering the Link shown in the pic I attached in my OP into the address bar of a browser.  Then I can transfer data in both directions.  For example I can reach the drive from any device on my home network by entering ftp://readyshare.routerlogin.net/shares into the browser address bar.  I can also reach the drive from any web connected device anywhere by entering ftp://75.xx.xx.xx/shares into the browser address bar.  In either case I can read from and write to the thumb drive.  It sounds to me and looks to me like an ftp connection so I would think the camera should be able to connect.  Am I missing something?

@Fixit-22 wrote:

Thanks for your interest in my post. 

I can connect to my router from any device on my network or even from any device that is on the web simply by entering the Link shown in the pic I attached in my OP into the address bar of a browser.  Then I can transfer data in both directions.  For example I can reach the drive from any device on my home network by entering ftp://readyshare.routerlogin.net/shares into the browser address bar.  I can also reach the drive from any web connected device anywhere by entering ftp://75.xx.xx.xx/shares into the browser address bar.  In either case I can read from and write to the thumb drive.  It sounds to me and looks to me like an ftp connection so I would think the camera should be able to connect. 

Am I missing something?

Yeah, you seem to have missed the part when I pointed out that "ReadyShare" is a special type of FTP server called a DLNA server.  I suggest that you do a web search to find out what that is.  I use mine to store digital movies, so I can watch them on my Wi-Fi enabled TV.  ReadyShare is a slightly different type of beast compared to Western Digital's Personal Cloud, which can function as a true FTP server.

You also missed the fact that I pointed out that your camera having Wi-Fi does not mean it is fully networkable.  Making your camera fully networkable is what the external Wi-Fi adapter can do.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements