cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D mark IV - AEB Issue (when in manual mode)

tangaroa
Contributor

Hi,

I have an issue with my 5D mark IV when shooting in manual mode. When I bracket shots in manual mode, the camera brackets by changing aperture rather than exposure time, which is extremely odd. The camera brackets normally (by adjusting exposure time) when in aperture priority mode. It's a problem since I shoot manual most of the time. I've tried resetting the camera (as best you can), but to no avail.

It's had this problem since new. I'd put off dealing with it as I was hoping a firmware update might rectify it, but having upgraded to v1.0.4 recently, I was sorely disappointed.

Having Googled the problem, I know of at least one other person who is experiencing the same (as yet unresolved) problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be the problem? 

PS. My nearest service centre is 800 miles away, so popping by there isn't so convenient. 

22 REPLIES 22

csteele
Apprentice

I have the same problem with my 5D Mark IV

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

That doesn't sound right.  Are you using ISO AUTO?  

You might check your "safety" setting, or whatever it's called.  That's the setting that automatically overrides your exposure settings, so that you shouldn't ever get a severely under/over exposed shots.  It has different modes, and disabling it in Manual mode is one of them.

Otherwise, you may try contacting Canon Support.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

No, I am not using auto ISO

I'm not using auto ISO and I have safety shift set to OFF (completely off, not just in manual).

Canon UK's first response was to say this is the way in which the camera is designed to operate. When I asked them then how am I to bracket shots whilst making a panorama, usiing manual mode to ensure a consistent exposure across each of the panorama 'tiles', they then said oh ... we'll look into it. I'm still waiting.

@tangaroa wrote:

I'm not using auto ISO and I have safety shift set to OFF (completely off, not just in manual).

Canon UK's first response was to say this is the way in which the camera is designed to operate. When I asked them then how am I to bracket shots whilst making a panorama, usiing manual mode to ensure a consistent exposure across each of the panorama 'tiles', they then said oh ... we'll look into it. I'm still waiting.

As a general rule, I use the same exposure settings for all of the "tiles" in a panorama shot sequence.  Under most circumstances, I don't change the focus setting, either.  I'll switch the lens to MF mode.

[EDIT]. Roll the camera on its' side to portrait mode, and let the shots overlap by 1/3 on each side.

I just got off the phone with support Canon USA - Support  started with the same story as yours.  I basically had the same response as you, including mentioning a Youtube video of someone with a 5D Mark IV show AEB in manual mode and how shutter changed on thier camera rather than aperture -  They said they would get back to me.  

Ditto, except I also bracket my exposures

Funnily enough, I just got an email from Canon, which is pretty much a waste of my time.

Thank you for your email. There are different ways of doing this, but if you want to be very precise, then I would simple do manual bracketing and put them together in post. With AEB the camera will always decide on the changing factor by metering the scene so the actual exposures can be different slightly. I wouldn`t recommend AEB when precise high-end result is required.

So my suggestion is to take your first photo on x settings, then drop the shutter speed or ISO for the next shot and up the shutter speed or ISO for the next one. I am afraid this is the only way where you can get entirely constant exposure across all panoramic angles with the same depth of field and exposure. I usually take 3 shots in each angle: normal exposure, 2 stops up, 2 stops down and then I put them together in Photoshop by simple putting them on top of each other and paint the new with layers accordingly to my needs.

I would also use a remote control or connect the camera to your phone so it doesn’t affect your camera angle and avoid any shake. In my honest opinion, sometimes you simply need to refer to the basic ways when you do it at professional level as those methods are faultless.

Canon ... teaching you how to suck eggs since 1937. Really, Canon? Is this the best response you can come up with to a genuine product fault?

Let's put your AEB issues aside for a moment.  

Canon's response echoes my own.  You want to use the same exposure settings for all of your "tiles" in a panorama shot sequence.  If you want the final image to look like one cohesive shot, then you don't want slices of it having different exposures, most especially if you have any significant amounts of sky in the frame.

As to your AEB issues, I am mystified by your observations.  The shutter speed should be the exposure setting that is adjusted, by default.  I've heard of people asking for ISO bracketing before, but never using aperture to bracket shots.  

I don't have a 5D, but the camera sounds like it is either confused by some combination of settings, or in desperate need of a firmware update.

Announcements