cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D m2 troubleshooting after changing shutter unit

kiraingvar
Apprentice

Hello!

So I managed to change my shutter unit after my 5Dm2 had been on the shelf for 1 1/2 year. Powered up and the shutter seems fine, I can take pictures. But now my monitor only works when i set the function to auto, then i can watch the pictures I've shot, and enter the menu, but not in any other functions. Also the buttons for ISO, WB and AF-drive doesn't seem to work. Strange thing is that the light button close to those three works fine. Anyone know if there could be a cable or something that I havn't connected properly?

4 REPLIES 4

@kiraingvar wrote:

Hello!

So I managed to change my shutter unit after my 5Dm2 had been on the shelf for 1 1/2 year. Powered up and the shutter seems fine, I can take pictures. But now my monitor only works when i set the function to auto, then i can watch the pictures I've shot, and enter the menu, but not in any other functions. Also the buttons for ISO, WB and AF-drive doesn't seem to work. Strange thing is that the light button close to those three works fine. Anyone know if there could be a cable or something that I havn't connected properly?

It's certainly a good bet that you have something connected wrong. But we have no way of knowing that.

What we do know is that we're making the right decision when we elect not to try to do such repairs ourselves.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

In full 'auto' mode many (most) controls are locked out.  They become available if you are in a 'creative zone' mode such as Program, Tv, Av, or Manual.

If the rear LCD works in 'auto' mode, it sounds like you may just have it switched off in the other modes.

On the left side of the rear LCD is a button that says "Info".  That button changes the displayed info and there are probably about 4-5 different screens... but one of those choices is to have the display remain off.

(BTW, if you are reviewing images, pressing the 'Info' button cycles through what the camera will display on the rear-LCD in review mode.  That's a bit different than what it displays when you are not reviewing images.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks, but neither of the buttons on the left shows any information on the screen in any other function than auto as well.

Almost certainly sounds like a ribbon cable that isn't connected or not seated properly in its socket. Time to get the screwdrivers out again.
Announcements