Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor
Accepted Solution

5D duplicating images

Hello Canon users.   When I transfer images to my Mac it imports two of the same image.   If I take one of the cards out of the camera first it is ok.   So I must be storage the image on both cards,  just don't know how to correct this on my camera?   Any ideas? 

Cheers 

Reputable Contributor

Re: 5D duplicating images

I don't have a 5D owner's manual but the setup is similar for most of the current Canon cameras.  Under the menu setting for record function (under the "wrench/tool" icon for most current bodies), you will have several choices of whether you want to save images to one or both cards simultaneously and what format is used for each (RAW on both cards, RAW on one, JPG on the other, etc.) 

I may be living dangerously but I have never bothered with recording to both cards.  I primarily shoot sports but if I was a wedding photographer I would use that dual record option.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M2, 1DX, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
New Contributor

Thanks for your help Rodger.

Cheers - Angela

New Contributor

Hi Rodger,

I have just made sure that I am only saving images to one card (thank you).  I have also just formatted both cards and it is still duplicating the image when transferring to my Mac?    Any ideas ??

Reputable Contributor

Hi Angela,

Which version of the 5D do you have (i.e. Mark IV) because there are many generations of this camera.  Do you have the camera set to save both RAW and JPG images?  If so, one copy of the file is the RAW version and the other is JPG and you can either record both file types to the same card or another setting puts each file type on a different card.  Take a close look at the duplicate files on your Mac to make sure that they aren't actually two different file formats with one in RAW and the other in JPG format.

Good luck!

Rodger

New Contributor

Hi Rodger,

I have the Mark IV.  I am only saving one jpeg image.   I've tried recording the image in Standard mode, the Auto Switch Card mode and also the Rec. Seperately mode.   

On my Mac both the images are exactly the same jpeg file.     

I'm thinking it maybe a Mac problem, so I will try the Mac Support.      Thank you again.

Cheers - Angela

Reputable Contributor

Good luck with it Angela!  The really strange part is that the problem disappears when you pull one of the cards out which makes it sound like for some reason the camera is still writing to both cards even thought that option wasn't selected.  You should be able to select either card to review in the camera and can see whether both cards actually have files on them.  Or if you have an external card reader you can use that to see what is on the cards.

Rodger