cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D battery grip problem

uscpsycho
Contributor

The other day the battery grip on my 5DmkIII had an issue with the dial. The problem is that it lost its "clickiness" when turned. It just felt mushy, no clicks when I turned the dial and the camera wasn't reading the dial turning. If I firmly pressed down when turning the dial it would click a little and the camera would read it.

Next time I used the camera the problem was totally gone and the dial was working normally. Anyone have this happen before? Is this going to happen again? Is my grip on the verge of biting the bullet? If so I'd rather replace it now before it happens again on a shoot.

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Canon grip or third party?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@uscpsycho wrote:

The other day the battery grip on my 5DmkIII had an issue with the dial. The problem is that it lost its "clickiness" when turned. It just felt mushy, no clicks when I turned the dial and the camera wasn't reading the dial turning. If I firmly pressed down when turning the dial it would click a little and the camera would read it.

Next time I used the camera the problem was totally gone and the dial was working normally. Anyone have this happen before? Is this going to happen again? Is my grip on the verge of biting the bullet? If so I'd rather replace it now before it happens again on a shoot.

Maybe the wheel got bumped out of place somehow, and you snapped it back into place.  If it works, then don't look back.  I can understand the worry about trusting it.  That will be a nagging issue for as long as you continue to use it. 

You could always contact Canon U.S. Support, but the cost to fix a grip could exceed the cost of a new one by the time you add tax, shipping, and insurance both ways.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@uscpsycho wrote:

Maybe the wheel got bumped out of place somehow, and you snapped it back into place.  If it works, then don't look back.  I can understand the worry about trusting it.  That will be a nagging issue for as long as you continue to use it. 

You could always contact Canon U.S. Support, but the cost to fix a grip could exceed the cost of a new one by the time you add tax, shipping, and insurance both ways.

The symptom sort of hollers, "Plastic gear mechanism!" Which suggests to me that it's a third-party grip. (I'd expect the corresponding mechanism in a Canon grip to be metal.) But what do I know? I've never used a grip. Smiley Indifferent

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@uscpsycho wrote:

. .

The symptom sort of hollers, "Plastic gear mechanism!" Which suggests to me that it's a third-party grip. (I'd expect the corresponding mechanism in a Canon grip to be metal.) But what do I know?

I've never used a grip. Smiley Indifferent

I think you would fall in love with the balance a battery grip gives the camera with professional grade lenses like the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM.  The camera is no longer front heavy, particularly on a tripod.  The additional battery life is a bonus.  If you're worried about accidentally pressing the extra buttons, then don't.  There is a switch that turns the battery grip buttons on and off.

Stay away from a third party grip, though.  One, they don't have the same shape and feel when you rotate to portrait mode, but neither do some 1D series bodies.  Two, your weather sealing with third party grips becomes suspect, and is most likely compromised.  Three, if you ever get the idea to buy an L-Bracket, it will be made to fit a Canon grip, not some third party grip.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"That will be a nagging issue for as long as you continue to use it.

You could always contact Canon U.S. Support, but the cost to fix a grip could exceed the cost of a new one by the time you add tax, shipping, and insurance both ways."

All so true.

It isn't an aftermarket grip, it's original Canon so if there are plastic gears in there it's the way Canon makes it.

Announcements