cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mkii motherboard fried?

duplessis85
Apprentice

I have a 5d mkii and mkiii, which i do a lot of videography work with. I have a v mount 12v battery with an adapter, but this morning i accidently plugged my mkii directly into the 12v outlet, and it must have fried something.

Ive tried hard rebooting and resetting it.

The main menu still appears and works fine.

The shutter still acuates, but at around 1/80-1/100 even if its set faster and cant rapid fire.

It does not save photos to the card.

It cant display a live image at all, and freezes up when you try to press playback, to a black grid screen.

My question is,

What does this sound like that fried?

Any help would be appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5

Whatever it is, it's not something you're going to be able to fix yourself. Call Canon and see if they'll look at it, but I'm not sure they're still working on 5D2's.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Yeah for sure. Mkii's are just at that point where sending them in costs more than theyre worth, so the plan is to trouble shoot, and buy the replacement circuit board and have a local camera tech replace it.  And at least save a couple of bucks since diagnostics alone will be at least 100 to just to figure out whats wrong with it.

"...the plan is to trouble shoot, and buy the replacement circuit board and have a local camera tech replace it."

I am not sure that is a good plan.  You have a parts camera now.  A better solution is to find a nice used 5d2.  Much less frustration!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

BTW, Midwest Camera will repair your 5d2.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tim
Authority

Hello Duplessis85, 

As some have suggested the appropriate course of action will be to send the camera to Canon for a full diagnostic.  Only when it's on hand will our techs be able to ascertain the extent of the damage.  Once evaluated, we'll provide a no obligation estimate sent to your email address.  Only once we relay these findings to you and you understand the work to be done and approve any applicable estimate that work will begin.  We encourage you to set up a repair online at your earliest convenience to get the service process under way. You can do that on our web site, here.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements