cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mk3 issues on writing to memory card

TX72BC
Contributor

Hi!

I recently got into some problems with my 5D Mk3 - when I take a photo, it DOES NOT STOP writing to the memory cards. These memory cards are Lexar SDXC1 / 10, and they were working before. I even tried other memory cards that work in my other cameras and they work fine there, but not on my 5D. Now my red light at the back is just on after a shot, and my status in the viewer is "busy" and the photo remaining counter is left blinking. And it doesnt stop, so I can't take another photo.

I thought it was a firmware issue, so I upgraded to the latest firmware but still not working.

Anyone encounter the same issue? Any ways you have resolved these?

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If you shut the camera off and turn back on was the image captured and on the card?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

If you shut the camera off and turn back on was the image captured and on the card?

hi John - the image doesnt get captured.

diverhank
Authority

Sorry, I haven't run across this issue with my 5D Mk 3.

The obvious thing, which you didn't mention, was to format the memory card in the camera first.  Try low level formatting for good measure.  You should try that.  Memory cards do fail and since they are so cheap, I'd get new ones.

Another thing is that you should not use the SD card in the 5D Mk 3 because it's really slow.  Even if you are using very fast SD cards, the camera doesn't use it...the best you will get is 133x and no more.   Use a fast CF card instead...there is no such restriction for the CF card.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@diverhank wrote:

Sorry, I haven't run across this issue with my 5D Mk 3.

The obvious thing, which you didn't mention, was to format the memory card in the camera first.  Try low level formatting for good measure.  You should try that.  Memory cards do fail and since they are so cheap, I'd get new ones.

Another thing is that you should not use the SD card in the 5D Mk 3 because it's really slow.  Even if you are using very fast SD cards, the camera doesn't use it...the best you will get is 133x and no more.   Use a fast CF card instead...there is no such restriction for the CF card.

Hi Hank -

I have both the sd and CF cards and it happens to both of them. Really having a hard time.

I called Canon and the person i talked to said I should just send it in.

@TX72BC wrote:

Hi Hank -

I have both the sd and CF cards and it happens to both of them. Really having a hard time.

Bummer...it looks like a problem...but the chance of both the SD and CF card slots are simultaneously broken the same way is astronomically small, imho.  It might be something else...

Before you send it in, make sure you go through the menu and disable the long exposure noise filtering...this option will just sit there and crank for ages with the annoying red light...if you are not patient enough like me, chance is you'll think the camera is broken.  As a matter of fact, reset everything back to default and try again.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@diverhank wrote:

@TX72BC wrote:

Hi Hank -

Bummer...it looks like a problem...but the chance of both the SD and CF card slots are simultaneously broken the same way is astronomically small, imho.  It might be something else...

Before you send it in, make sure you go through the menu and disable the long exposure noise filtering...this option will just sit there and crank for ages with the annoying red light...if you are not patient enough like me, chance is you'll think the camera is broken.  As a matter of fact, reset everything back to default and try again.

tried all of it but to no avail... i guess thats it?

" tried all of it but to no avail... i guess thats it? "

If you have reset the camera [which needs to be done in at least 3 places], swtiched to [P] mode and disabled all of the settings I mentioned, then the last thing I can think of would be the clock battery.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@TX72BC wrote:

Hi!

I recently got into some problems with my 5D Mk3 - when I take a photo, it DOES NOT STOP writing to the memory cards. These memory cards are Lexar SDXC1 / 10, and they were working before. I even tried other memory cards that work in my other cameras and they work fine there, but not on my 5D. Now my red light at the back is just on after a shot, and my status in the viewer is "busy" and the photo remaining counter is left blinking. And it doesnt stop, so I can't take another photo.

I thought it was a firmware issue, so I upgraded to the latest firmware but still not working.

Anyone encounter the same issue? Any ways you have resolved these?

Thanks.

What shooting mode are you using?  As Hank noted, some settings may cause the camera to sit and cogitate, "BUSY."

1- Auto Lighting Optimizer

2- Long Exposure Noise Reduction

3- High ISO Speed Noise Reduction

If you are using "A", then you will automatically get #1 and #3 of the troublemakers, as I call them.  If you switch to any of the other modes, ( P, Tv, Av, M, B ) , then you have the option to disable the settings I listed..  I disable them in the camera, because you can also adjust RAW files in post processing to remove the noise.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

alexkoo
Apprentice

Got similar happening to my 7D II indicating  "busy" whilst writing to card. Switched off manually and then turned on, could only take a few photos and then hanged. Basically processor problem due to overheating and the board was replaced. Fortunately, it was within warranty period.

Announcements