cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mk lV remote control?

mdybus
Contributor

I just sold my 6D Mk2 on ebay and included my RC-6 Wireless Remote for free.Man Sad

The sad face is because I held on to my BR-E1 for the 5D Mk lV Man Sad

I suppose this is my reward for not doing my homework and assumincg that since the 5D Mk lV is so much more expensive it would have more options not less.

Am I correct in thinking that I must purchase either another BR-6 for remote, limiting effective use area, or use a smart phone?

7 REPLIES 7

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Don’t get an IR remote like the RC-6. They have poor range and must be pointed at the camera to work well. The Canon Camera Connect App for your smartphone is an option, but I find it can be a little finicky.

I recommend a 3rd party 2.4GHZ wireless radio remote with a handheld transmitter and a receiver that plugs into the wired remote receptacle on the camera.

This Pixel wireless remote is only about $20. Unlike some other brands, it uses AAA batteries instead of some other hard to find batteries.

Pixel Pro Digital Camera 100M Wireless Shutter Remote Control Release for Canon 

Mike Sowsun

Thanks a bunch I had ordered the RC-6 on Amazon , checked my email for confirmation, saw you had replied, read your reply, cancelled the rc-6 in time, and purchased your suggestion for a few cents less than the RC-6. Phew just in time.thank you for your SPEEDY reply to my post.

I gave you a kudo. Smiley Happy  Took the sad face away

Thanks. I am glad to help. Smiley Happy

Mike Sowsun

Mike,

The remote you suggested arrived today.

I set the micro switches as in the diagram on both transmitter and receiver to #s  1, 2 and 4 down and 3 up. then all 4 up then all 4 down. The receiver's led lights up momentarily when I insert fresh batteries then is out.If I push the power button on the receiver the led remains off.  the transmitter's led lights when I push the button green then red. I cannot get this working with my camera on remote however when I push the manual activation button on the receiver the camera takes a photo the led remains off If I then push the power button on the receiver the manual activation does not function.. I thought to inquire  here first before returning to amazon as defective.

Hi Mike, I'm back again.

Don't understand what happened I posted this question I am about to ask an hour ago I even edited it twice for typos now it is missing???? lost in cyber space.

The unit you suggested arrived today. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong but I cannot get it to function wireless Only when I push the manual activation button on the receiver. I tried in addition to the example in the instructions various positioning of the micro switches in the rx and xmitter to no avail. The power light on the xmitter flashes green then red when I push the activate button. The Rx light comes on momentarily after inserting the second battery then remains off. If I push the manual activation button on the Rx the camera takes a photo. If I push the power button on the Rx the manual button does not work if I push the power button again the manual button works, so I know the Rx is getting power However the power led does not come on only as stated when the second battery is inserted. Do you have any suggestions before I contact Amazon for a replacement?

Thanks

Mike

It looks like you have done all the right trouble shooting steps. Your transmitter is working fine from your description, but your receiver unit is bad. 

The receiver should do nothing when the batteries are inserted.  It is only when you long press the power button that you see a brief long red flash to show it has turned on, and then continuous short red flashes about 1 second apart to show it is ready to receive.   

When you 1/2 press the transmitter, both the transmitter and receiver go green as it focuses, and then both go red as you full press to trip the shutter.

Here is a quick video to show how it should work.

Mike Sowsun

Thanks for the great tutorial Mike! Not the link but your post. I was short pressing the power button as soon as I long pressed the power button Rx did exactly what you said it should . Duh I never had these problems in my 30s 40s and half way through my 50s It has been downhill ever since. LOL  Pretty cool remote!  my camera now makes an image when I press the transmitter button.

Thanks for the heads up on button pressing.

Announcements