Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

5D Mk IV Eyecup

I just purchased a new 5D Mk IV and this might me nitpicking, but the eyepiece that snaps onto the viewfinder has a small amount of play in it. It snaps on and off easily and wiggles just a tiny bit, ie. it isn't a solid fit. Is this normal on this body or should I exchange it while I still can?

Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: 5D Mk IV Eyecup

You can wedge a small wad of paper in the "vee" between the gripper and frame to tighten things up. I have had this occur; it's a tolerance thing. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LRCC Classic
Esteemed Contributor

The eyecup is removeable. Squeeze the sides and it slides up and off. It's designed so you can install a 90° angle finder/magnifier.

It's usually not particularly tight.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Honored Contributor

TCampbell wrote:
The eyecup is removeable. Squeeze the sides and it slides up and off. It's designed so you can install a 90° angle finder/magnifier ...

... or a rubber cover that keeps out light that might confuse the metering system when the camera is on a tripod.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Highlighted
New Contributor

Got it thanks. I know it's removeable, I just remember the one on my 5D Mk III being more snug. No big deal.