cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D MarkIV - external microphone not working

Ivos
Apprentice

I have a surprising problem with my rather new 5D Mark IV. When I connect an external microphone, it does not work ... still recording on an internal one (be it Rode or now Sennheiser MKE 440). When I connect the same microphone to 70D , the microphone immediately works (stereo), when I disconnect it, switches to the internal one.

Is there any special setting in 5D MKIV to initiate the recording via external mic or there is simply something broken in my 5D ?

16 REPLIES 16

I think you just solved my problem - I was recording at 50 fps and it only recorded on camera audio after an hour's interview. I'm so disappointed that I didn't know that and have wasted that whole video! But at least I know for next time.  

@diverhank wrote:

@Ivos wrote:

I have a surprising problem with my rather new 5D Mark IV. When I connect an external microphone, it does not work ... still recording on an internal one (be it Rode or now Sennheiser MKE 440). When I connect the same microphone to 70D , the microphone immediately works (stereo), when I disconnect it, switches to the internal one.

Is there any special setting in 5D MKIV to initiate the recording via external mic or there is simply something broken in my 5D ?

There are 2 possibilities that you may want to check if you haven't already...

1. In the menu (camera 4) make sure sound recording is not disabled.

2. Make sure you're not recording at high speed (HSR)...sound is not recorded.

50 fps is NOT high speed. Everything under 60 (59.99) is considered as normal. HSR is 120fps.

So your mic should work at 50 no prob....

Ugh. So in that case, I don't know what went wrong, I used the same mic the next day without any issue (although I filmed at 25 fps just to be sure).

@docusync wrote:

50 fps is NOT high speed. Everything under 60 (59.99) considered as normal. HSR is 120fps.

So your mic should work at 50 no prob....

Not sure if that's your case - I had a similar issue with my 1dx2 a while ago. Couldn't fit the microphone jack all the way in, and as a result - no sound 🙂

I would suggest to experiment a little before "going live". You can probably insert your microphone and knock on it to make sure you're getting sound from it and not from the internal one. If you're shooting live - have your audio levels on the screen. If something goes wrong - you'll see them either not moving or low. It helps to avoid surprises.

emmasmartacus
Apprentice
Thanks - yeah I’ll definitely check it better next time - completely forgot about having audio levels on the screen too! Must have been the microphone jack as it worked the next day!

IthacaNY
Apprentice

I thought I had this problem also. Solution, the cord from the receiver to the jack on the side of the camera wasn't plugged in properly. It took a really firm push past some initial resistance to get the cord to seat properly.

kelsiekaykay
Apprentice

I was having this problem too…then I figured out my mic was not all the way in the Jack. Some reason on the Mark IV you have to push it in hard, it clicks once, but then it clicks twice and it really in there! 

Announcements