cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D MarkIV - external microphone not working

Ivos
Apprentice

I have a surprising problem with my rather new 5D Mark IV. When I connect an external microphone, it does not work ... still recording on an internal one (be it Rode or now Sennheiser MKE 440). When I connect the same microphone to 70D , the microphone immediately works (stereo), when I disconnect it, switches to the internal one.

Is there any special setting in 5D MKIV to initiate the recording via external mic or there is simply something broken in my 5D ?

16 REPLIES 16

diverhank
Authority

@Ivos wrote:

I have a surprising problem with my rather new 5D Mark IV. When I connect an external microphone, it does not work ... still recording on an internal one (be it Rode or now Sennheiser MKE 440). When I connect the same microphone to 70D , the microphone immediately works (stereo), when I disconnect it, switches to the internal one.

Is there any special setting in 5D MKIV to initiate the recording via external mic or there is simply something broken in my 5D ?

There are 2 possibilities that you may want to check if you haven't already...

1. In the menu (camera 4) make sure sound recording is not disabled.

2. Make sure you're not recording at high speed (HSR)...sound is not recorded.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

The sound is being recorded, but through the internal microphone ...

@Ivos wrote:

The sound is being recorded, but through the internal microphone ...

Are you sure you plugged the external into the right jack?

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Was there an answer provided for this? I am having the exact same issue. I have a mic that works flawlessly on my Canon 6D Mark II, but when plugged in to the 5D mark IV it does not even recognize that a mic is plugged in.

I am having this same exact issue. The mic works fine on my SL1 but my 5DM4 won't recognize it. 

tmacioszek, 

So the community may assist you, would you mind indicating the brand and type of microphone with all available specifications provided?  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

It's a very bizarre scenario and I have tried troubleshooting as many different ways as possible with no such luck. 

I have two sets of the Saramonic SR-WM4C wireless lavalier mics and an SR-AX100 mixer. I have used this set up for about a year now with no issues and great clean audio. Today I went to test it out with fresh batteries and out of nowhere, everything has stopped working, and I'm not talking one of the mic sets but both of them.  I've tested both recievers on 3 different cameras (Canon SL1, Canon 5DMk4 and Sony a6300 and I get no sound.  I've tried switching around the cables, changing the channel they are on, plugging the receiver directly into the camera instead of the mixer, changing out the batteries (again) and nothing works.  I could see if one set had a faulty cable or stopped working, but I don't understand how both sets are failing on three different cameras.  For the record, my Rode shotgun mic IS working on all three cameras.  I am perplexed. Unfortunately, Saramonic is closed for the weekend so I will have to wait until Monday to talk to them about the problem.  Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?  I have a big shoot next Wednesday and I'm starting to panic!  Any thoughts or recommendations as how I can troubleshoot this further would be greatly appreciated. 

@canonunicorn wrote:

It's a very bizarre scenario and I have tried troubleshooting as many different ways as possible with no such luck. 

I have two sets of the Saramonic SR-WM4C wireless lavalier mics and an SR-AX100 mixer. I have used this set up for about a year now with no issues and great clean audio. Today I went to test it out with fresh batteries and out of nowhere, everything has stopped working, and I'm not talking one of the mic sets but both of them.  I've tested both recievers on 3 different cameras (Canon SL1, Canon 5DMk4 and Sony a6300 and I get no sound.  I've tried switching around the cables, changing the channel they are on, plugging the receiver directly into the camera instead of the mixer, changing out the batteries (again) and nothing works.  I could see if one set had a faulty cable or stopped working, but I don't understand how both sets are failing on three different cameras.  For the record, my Rode shotgun mic IS working on all three cameras.  I am perplexed. Unfortunately, Saramonic is closed for the weekend so I will have to wait until Monday to talk to them about the problem.  Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?  I have a big shoot next Wednesday and I'm starting to panic!  Any thoughts or recommendations as how I can troubleshoot this further would be greatly appreciated. 

First move, put a Plan B into motion, even if it might mean renting gear for the upcoming shoot.  Go with what works!  Use the daylight hours productively.  You can pull an all-nighter experimenting and testing the camera, if need be.

I assume that you have the correct type of plug, or adapter, for the camera.  With a mixer phantom power should not be an issue.  Besides, it works with an SL-1, which suggests there could be a subtle difference between the cameras, most likely the microphone connector itself.

Try a different microphone, a cheap one that does not require phantom power.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It seems sadly I have the very same problem - more specificly:

I have just got my new Sennheiser MKE 600 and Sennhesier KA 600 i adapter cable (XLR to mini-jack adapter). I have successfully used this combination to record voice-memos on my MacBook Pro and Ipad Prop using the mic's internall power supply. I have also successfully used the MKE 600 to record sound on my Zoom H6 (with its phantom power) using an ordinary XLR cable without any problems.

However, I am surprised that it doesn't work on my almost new Canon 5d Mark IV, which records sound through its own internal mic, and also through my Sennheiser Lavelier mic, but not the MKE 600. I have already tried all different combinations of FPS recording formats and 4K and FHD, but in vain. Neither does it help to use MKE 600's internal battery! I guess the MKE 600 is not compatible with the 5d Mark IV (?) - Am I doing something wrong or is MKE 600 not compatible to be connected directly to the mini-jack port on a 5d Mark IV in the first place?

Announcements