cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark1 problem

Bob1959
Contributor

I have a 5D mark 1 that functions normally on the point and shoot and custom settings, but in the TV, AV, or M settings it acts like it is on B(bulb) setting, the mirror stays up, shutter stays open. Firmware problem? other problem? fix suggestion ?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Although I am not a big fan of resetting the camera to cure problems and instead prefer to find the root cause, in this case the simplest thing for you to do is to do a camera reset to clear all of your custom functions.  There may be an inadvertent setting choice restricting some of the exposure triangle settings causing your camera to stay in a long exposure mode.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

Hey thanks. I had already done a "camera functions" reset. To answer a previous comment, It takes great pictures and functions seemingly normal on the green and the custom setting, just not the rest. I did a complete all three reset and took the battery out, waited a minute and put it back in. Turned on the camera and it seems to work normally. I reply again in a few days to let you know if that worked. Thanks all!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Peter
Authority
Authority
Not mirror lockup enabled? Possible to take a picture at all and upload it here with Exif?

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Although I am not a big fan of resetting the camera to cure problems and instead prefer to find the root cause, in this case the simplest thing for you to do is to do a camera reset to clear all of your custom functions.  There may be an inadvertent setting choice restricting some of the exposure triangle settings causing your camera to stay in a long exposure mode.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Hey thanks. I had already done a "camera functions" reset. To answer a previous comment, It takes great pictures and functions seemingly normal on the green and the custom setting, just not the rest. I did a complete all three reset and took the battery out, waited a minute and put it back in. Turned on the camera and it seems to work normally. I reply again in a few days to let you know if that worked. Thanks all!

Good luck Bob and hopefully it continues to work properly for you!

Rodger

" I did a complete all three reset and took the battery out, waited a minute ..."

Taking the battery out will not reset a 5D (there is no 5D Mk I, just 5D).  The 5D has a keep alive battery that also has to be removed and I would do so for a lot longer than a minute or two.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

" I did a complete all three reset and took the battery out, waited a minute ..."

Taking the battery out will not reset a 5D (there is no 5D Mk I, just 5D). ...

A quibble over terminology, as is my wont: Yes, the first of the 5D series was called simply the "5D". Canon (like probably most manufacturers) doesn't name a camera the "Mark I", as that simply encourages a potential customer to wait for the Mark II. But once there are several Marks, it makes perfect sense to refer to the original as the "Mark I" to avoid possible confusion with references to the series as a whole. So yes, Ernie, you are correct: the original 5D was simply the "5D" (i.e., the camera used by the professional photographer at my son-in-law's sister's wedding, who allowed me to follow him around like a puppy dog as I undertook to learn event photography). But terminological correctness isn't necessarily the primary desideratum when, as in this case, a more precise characterization lacking the same possibly confers a better understanding.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"... the first of the 5D series was called simply the "5D"." ... " it makes perfect sense to refer to the original as the "Mark I""

You may call it whatever you like but you would still be wrong. "Perfectly" or imperfectly. you are wrong. However, the important thing here is not the name, right or wrong, but the fact removing the main battery for a minute will not reset the camera.  That is the take away.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements