cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark iii problem with live view: no image is recorded when I take a shot

CW7647
Contributor

I have enabled live view by pressing the Start/Stop button, and the picture shows on the LCD monitor.  I then take a shot.  But nothing is recorded on the card, and the picture dos not show on the LCD monitor (instead it just keeps showing the live view).  There must be a simple explanation and solution?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi brokenloaves!

Please check the AF mode in the menu by following these steps:

Press MENU.

Select the [Camera #4] tab.

Select [AF mode].

What is the AF mode set to?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Mykolas
Authority

Hi CW7647,

There is a setting that prevents an image from being displayed after it is taken, but I do not believe there is a setting that prevents one from actually being recorded.  However, just to make sure, I recommend that you reset the camera to the default settings by following these steps:

1. Press the <MENU> button.
  2. Select the [Tools #4] tab.
  3. Select [Clear All Camera Settings].
  4. Select [OK].

For reference, this procedure can be found on page 56 of your User's Manual.

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I am having the same problem. Can't shoot in Live View mode. The camera doesn't even try to focus when I click the shutter button. It just makes clicking sound and nothing is recorded. This has happened to me before and I reset the camera as suggested. After resetting, the problem seemed to be resolved temporarily - I was able to shoot in live view mode. But then, the problem came back. Help, please. Thanks

Hi brokenloaves!

Please check the AF mode in the menu by following these steps:

Press MENU.

Select the [Camera #4] tab.

Select [AF mode].

What is the AF mode set to?

Yes. It fixed the problem. Thank you so much. Sorry for the late respond.

Mike,

are you able to look at my issue with my 6D and the live view not functioning?

Thanks!

This is correct, don't clear all your camera settings, change AF setting from quick to live view and it will be fine.

Hi, I too have the same issue where I can not take a image during live view this is on a intermittend basis, what can be done to fix the issue as it is very irritating when you are out during the night to take images.. (this has also happened during the day in case you are wondering if it is light related)  the shutter makes all the right noises just does not capture the image.

pasharo
Apprentice

Hi there, I have trouble connecting 5d mark iii to dragon frame? we have tried all the instructions on the DF site,but no luck, please help!!!

Gungnir
Apprentice

In Live view with quick AF it uses phase detection just as when using the viewfinder. This requires the mirror to  flip down in order to focus. You'll notice the screen goes blank until focus is achieved.

So, the first noise you hear is the mirror moving for focusing. It sounds like you've taken the shot but you've actually only focused.

Therefore you focus with half press, hear the mirror flip down and up again, the focus box on screen turns green confirming focus then you fully depress the shutter to take the shot.

Enabling back button focus helps your brain override instinct that mirror noise equals recorded image.

I appreciate this is an old thread but it's one of the first to appear in google search for this enquiry.

Announcements