cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark IV - changing the filename

KarlKrueger
Enthusiast

I'm setting up my defaults on my new camera and trying to change how files are named.

As according to the  instructions when I go to the file name menu I see the unalterable Preset Code (the default this camera uses to name files) and I changed my User setting 1 to how I want my files named.

BUT the manual and options availabe in the menuj are not clearly evident how you tell the camera to use the User setting 1 convention and not the Preset Code. Needless to say my pic filenames are still coming out preceded by the Preset code and not User Settings 1. So what is the magic trick to do this??? (Note- I have sRGB selected so that is not the issue someone else had)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I do it on my 1D X. Are you pressing "SET" button?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

This is 1D X. I suspect yours will be the same.

2017-08-12 (2).png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thank you for the reply John. That is basically what this manual has for instructions but that does not work. I only get the PreSet code to show up in the filenames and no clear way to change it. The fact the 1DX manual says the same thing demonstrates something is missing in these manuals.

Step 5 implies that you can scroll down to the bottom 3 filename possibilities and select which one you want. I cannot do that. I can only scroll on the three naming options but I cannot enter that lower field to select the filename convention I want.

The camera's default was to use the PreSet Code despite that the default for User settings 1 was IMG_ . So where is the control to change which naming convention to select??

I do it on my 1D X. Are you pressing "SET" button?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

DUUHH yes now I see it. I never went up to the top of the menu and enter that field of options. Thanks for pointing it out.

I´m sorry but I cannot do it right.

My 4 letters are "LFCA" User 1.

After enter that I take a picture and the name of my file is "_FCA". Why?

You have AdobeRGB color space selected. That is an industry standard way of marking file name with ARGB. If you chnage to sRGB the underscore will disappear.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thank you.

But I need to work with Adobe RGB ,-(

What shall I do?

Use just 3 letters? The ok button does not work with 3 letter; only with 4 letters.

I can't tell you what to do since i don't know the significance of your file name (i.e. why you have it that way).

All I can tell you is that if you need to work in AdobeRGB then the first character of the file name assigned by the camera will be an underscore. This even happens with cameras where the file name can't be changed.

If you can use three letters make the first letter "1" and the next three letters the file name. Then you will have four characters and the Set button will work.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

In sRGB the letters are ok.

In AdobeRGB the first letter is erased and the name starts with underscore.

Very annoying.

I will work with ARGB no matter the files names ,-(

Maybe its a bug.

Announcements