cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark IV Freezing up

iris
Enthusiast

I received a brand new 5D MarkIV from my husband for Christmas...I've enjoyed using the full frame camera and lenses I've collected over the years that rightfullly should be on a full frame camera...

Several days ago while shooting and an event, the Camera FROZE..I mean suddenly the AF for the lens was dead and dark..the LD screen on the back was lit up and frozen with the camera setting sitting there..I tried to simply turn it all off an the on of switch had no effect.. After tryik several other buttons it became evident that EVERYTHing was frozen..So I treated it like a FROZEn computer screen, taking out the battery and sd card and waiting for a few moments, REinserted and all was well.  I totally forgot about it and treated it as a "One-off"    However, I was wrong..today it happened again..Very disturbing to have this kind of issue with such an expensive piece of equipment.

I have looke on YOu Tube and at various websites for answers..Apparently others have this problem...Any Answers that you Canon Pros know of??

What would you do?  Should I let Canon Fix It?  Should I insist on a new Camera?  YOu pros out there would you just ask to have your mony back?  NOt sure than can even happen?

22 REPLIES 22

CaliforniaDream
Enthusiast

@iris wrote:

What would you do?  Should I let Canon Fix It?  Should I insist on a new Camera?  YOu pros out there would you just ask to have your mony back?  NOt sure than can even happen?

I would call Canon and send it back to them.  Have you registered the camera with Canon?  Regerstration really dosn't make any differance as long as it is the USA model.  Canon is very fast with fixes.  BTW I also have a 5D Mark IV and really like it.

iris
Enthusiast
Yes. I registered it on line..Im pretty sure. It was purchased through B & H.

I would give Canon a call and tell them what is going on and what fixed it temporarly.  I am sure they will help, they have always been great for me.

1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666)

iris
Enthusiast
This a.m. we will try the latest firmware update to see if perhaps they've initiated a fix.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The power switch on Canon DSLR bodies is a "soft" switch.  It sends a signal to the camera to indicate that you'd like it to turn off (often this will iniatate certain sequences such as a sensor dust-removal cycle) ... and then the camera ultimately switches off.  Even then, an "off" camera isn't truely "off" (e.g. if you enable the GPS and depending on which mode it is in, the GPS may still be awake and taking a periodic position fix).

When the processor in the camera locks up, the only way to truely "reboot" the camera is to remove the power (eject the battery), wait a few seconds, then re-insert.

As to why it happens -- that can be difficult to pinpoint.  But the questions I typically ask are:

• Are there any non-Canon accessories connected to the camera (a battery grip, third party batteries, third party lenses, third party flashes, etc.)?
  • Is there anything consistent about the problem (e.g. it only happens if a certain lens is being used; or it only happens in certain camera modes; etc.)?
  • Does the freeze-up happen only after taking a photograph (e.g. when it is attempting to save the image to the memory card?)  If so, do you have a different memory card you can use to test?

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Everything I use I Canon.  I did have a flsh attached..also a canon.  I didn't do anything differently than I've done thousands of times with my Canon 7D mark ii  ....

I called Canon yesterday and was immediately told to turn it in...Fortunately I have learned over the years to save everything from the sales receipt to the box the gear came in just in cases soemthing ever happened.I had also registered the camera on line the day I got it. I keep a history including Serial Number on the back page of the Canon Instruction Book that came with the 5DMark iv, as I do with all the lenses, tripods and anything else I get......So I will send it off tomorrow..The gentleman I was talking to said the issue had nothing to do with the lenses so I am sending in the camera body only..His comment also suggests to me they've dealt with the problem before...He promised a 5 day turn around...Hopefully they will tell me what the issue was and I will tell the Forum members.

iris
Enthusiast
Today my camera and lens were returned from canon. They said they were unable to duplicate the problem I experienced. I was disappointed that they were unable to see an issue...this camera has been out for a while now and I see quite a few people describing this same issue with their 5D Mark IV...So only thing to do is be more alert if it happens again. I Will observe the setting and be certain to remove and save the SD card from the moment the issue occurs. I didn't realize they would want the SD card..but it certainly makes sense that that would be useful.

Hi,

I have same problem with my camera 😞 Is it possible that no one has a solution? I got the same answer from the service "they were unable to duplicate the problem", how is this possible?

@micens wrote:

Hi,

I have same problem with my camera 😞 Is it possible that no one has a solution? I got the same answer from the service "they were unable to duplicate the problem", how is this possible?

Does it freeze every time you power up the camera?  I suspect incorrect or poor quality memory cards could be a factor.  Be sure to format any new memory card before you use it.  The SD memory cards need a “low level format” performed.  Despite appearances, new cards are not formatted.

What brand and model of memory cards are you using?  Which card slot is the active slot?  Make sure you have the proper type of memory card(s) in the camera.  You might try powering it up with just one card, and then the other.

Do your memory cards have the same capacity?  Although having the same capacity is not a requirement, I do so in my dual memory card slot camera bodies, anyway.  Why?  Because it makes me feel good.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements