cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark IV Exposure Simulation with ST-E3-RT Transmitter

mdaugher1811
Apprentice

Hi.  Love my 5DMK4.  Has anyone noticed that when the ST-E3-RT transmitter is in hot shoe and engergized, the exposure simulation in Live View does not render properly.  If one turns the ST-E3-RT power off (while still in the hot shoe) then the exposure simulation works properly.   Any thoughts, suggestions, or workarounds?   This is a real pain when shooting in the field.    

Thanks, Matt D

Canon 5DMK IV

Canon 5DMK III

9 REPLIES 9

diverhank
Authority

@mdaugher1811 wrote:

Hi.  Love my 5DMK4.  Has anyone noticed that when the ST-E3-RT transmitter is in hot shoe and engergized, the exposure simulation in Live View does not render properly.  If one turns the ST-E3-RT power off (while still in the hot shoe) then the exposure simulation works properly.   Any thoughts, suggestions, or workarounds?   This is a real pain when shooting in the field.    

Thanks, Matt D

Canon 5DMK IV

Canon 5DMK III

Not sure what you mean by not rendering properly? with respect to what? ambient light? predicted remote flash light? It will try to do the latter. If you just want to see the ambient light, you should turn the RT off...to me that seems to make sense, considering it's "exposure simulation"...

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

I have a similar problem when I put anything on the hotshoe, even if it's not flash related.

And I assume when in the field he's trying to use 'exposure simulation' to expose for the background then use the flash as fill on the subject. Yes you can turn off your transmitter (altho when I used an off brand transmitter just turning it off doesn't help, I actually have to take it off the hotshoe) but why should you have to?? QUite annoying and time consuming when you want to be fast and economical on a shoot. 

Surely it can't be that hard to fix this issue with a firmware update. I've played around with the three Exposure Simulation options (Enable, enable during button press, and disable), and none of them help.

Please fix! Most vexing, and definitely the most annoying issue with my 5DMK4.

I do not think that there is anything wrong with your camera.  

Live View mode is not compatible with the use of flash.  Live View uses a different light metering system compared to using the viewfinder.  AFAIK, Live View metering is not configured to work with the intelligent flash system.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

Live View mode is not compatible with the use of flash.  Live View uses a different light metering system compared to using the viewfinder.  AFAIK, Live View metering is not configured to work with the intelligent flash system.

I think that may be news to Canon. Both the flash chapter and the live view chapter of the 5D4 instruction manual mention using flash with live view.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

I think that may be news to Canon. Both the flash chapter and the live view chapter of the 5D4 instruction manual mention using flash with live view.

LOL.  I am sure you are correct.  I had problems with using my flash a couple of years ago in Live View, and gave up on using it.

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Okay, this other thread describes circumstances that I think I had once upon a time.  It didn’t work as expected so I just used the viewfinder.

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-Rebel/Built-in-flash-malfunction/m-p/222868#M19609

I, too, had had ExpSim enabled while using Live View and the built in flash.  This current thread has problems with the remote transmitter in combination with a remote flash.  But, in all cases, we were using Live View, ExpSim, and a flash.  I do not think that they play well together.   

Hi.  Yes, I was attempting to use LiveView to exposure for the ambient--much like many of the mirrorless EVF's do.  The issue becomes when I turn the Canon ST-E3-RT transmitter on, then the exposure for the background completely changes to the point that the ambient exposure being simulated is not even close to actual.  Changes to flash power does not change this result. 

Definelty believe this is a problem Canon has not heard much about.  Hopefully, only a firmware issue.  

Thanks all for the valuable feedback.

Matt Daugherty, CPP

@mdaugher1811 wrote:

Hi.  Yes, I was attempting to use LiveView to exposure for the ambient--much like many of the mirrorless EVF's do.  The issue becomes when I turn the Canon ST-E3-RT transmitter on, then the exposure for the background completely changes to the point that the ambient exposure being simulated is not even close to actual.  Changes to flash power does not change this result. 

Definelty believe this is a problem Canon has not heard much about.  Hopefully, only a firmware issue.  

Thanks all for the valuable feedback.

Matt Daugherty, CPP

Uh, huh.  What is your shutter speed before and after you turn one the ST-E3-RT transmitter?  What is the fastest available shutter speed both before and after you power it on?  

Have you tried turning off ExpSim?  The camera can focus and measure the exposure in one of two ways, when using Live View.

Waddizzle, thanks.  I will test turning ExpSim off and report back shutter speed tests.  I really appreciate your feedback.

Announcements