01-19-2020 04:39 PM
Think you missed my underlying point. Giving a wide airing on a forum by a large number of people affected by a specific problem on a specific model of camera helps identify whether it is a problem the manufacturer should be addressing. If the number of reports on a particular problem continues to increase I, for one, would use that information, when submitting my camera for repair - and asking whether the repair would be cost free under the circumstances and also what preventative measures the manufacturer had taken or was going to take to prevent the problem occurring on future models. The integrity of the company is affected if a probelm goes unaddressed because word soon gets round if something they make has reliability issues. Nikon were very quick to address the inherent problem on their D600, replacing some with D610's!
01-19-2020 04:58 PM
I hardly think the number of times I have posted is relevant to my level of interest. I think the number of posts I have read - and the number that have read my posts - would be more appropriate to how much interest is being given to what is going on with Canon products. I have been addressing a particular problem associated with a number of 5D MK IV camera users and the idea of a forum IMO is to get a wider range of opinions in order to identify whether a particular problem is turning out to be an inherent one - as I iterated in my reply below. There have been some replies which seem to digress from the problem some users are experiencing.
01-20-2020 12:05 PM - edited 01-20-2020 12:11 PM
"I hardly think the number of times I have posted is relevant to my level of interest."
Its not and it shouldn't. Your problem and others is real. My only point is a person having this issue or 12 or a 100 is not a significant sample size to say it is an inherent problem with the 5D Mk IV. This is just too small of a sample size when you consider how many 5dMk IVs are sold.
I feel for you because when its your 5D4 is not funny at all.
01-20-2020 05:01 PM - edited 01-20-2020 05:02 PM
But that is exactly my point. We won't find out how extensive a problem is (with any product) until we see the number of times it is addressed on a forum or forums. I belong to a few Canon photography groups, but only one of them is dedicated to the 5D MK IV exclusively. The number of members is quite small and the number experiencing one particular problem is just a small percentage of that membership. Exploring a wider number of owners via a forum can increase the numbers respectively. Keep quiet about something and people will never know how widespread it is. They will simply pay their repair bills and think they are in a minority of unlucky purchasers. The reason the Nikon D600 got recalled was because of so many purchasers complaining about it on forums.
01-21-2020 10:00 AM
"The reason the Nikon D600 got recalled was because ..."
I would not compare Canon to Nikon since Nikon outsources so much of their production. When you do that you lose some control over QC. Pretty easy to tell, after the fact, that an outsourced supplier, of a mother board for instance, didn't follow specs closely enough.
01-25-2020 02:16 PM
That's fine but keep in mind, " My only point is a person having this issue or 12 or a 100 is not a significant sample size to say it is an inherent problem with the 5D Mk IV."
01-26-2020 06:16 AM
We are looking at one specific problem on the 5D MK IV - a dead body with no power. If there were a series of problems being grouped together for one particular camera, then I would agree that the sample size would have to be much greater in each problem category. The original post was in an endeavour to discover whether one particular problem was becoming more prevalent amongst MK IV owners. In any event, analysts usually work on sample poll results as being representative of around 10% of a total. For example, when 2 million people march in a protest, they figure that is around 10% of the people that feel the same way about something - the other 90% just haven't bothered making their feelings known publicly for whatever reason. If the number of respondents on here, with the same problem, is around 10% of the total number experiencing that same problem, simply because the other 90% aren't aware of this forum, then we could be looking at a much larger number in total. It is then up to Canon to evaluate the number of repairs they undertake for the same problem, on the same model, whether a recall is necessary. There's also the possibility that other MK IV owners will experience the same problem eventually and if not adressed the camera will suffer the ignominy of being an unreliable product, reducing resale value tremendously. I'm sure you would want to avoid that with your MK IV?
01-26-2020 10:49 AM
Here is what the OP said in just the first few posts,...
"I can´t believe than canon allow this in a profesional camera."
"You can see more people with this issue in their cameras. These are two cases in youtube:"
"I dont understand how it could happen in a profesional camera."
"...they are failing."
He seems to be saying all or most all 5D Mk IV's fail. The truth is they don't. Some do and some will but you can not condem the entire lot with a few occurences. The sample size is just way too small.
01-26-2020 11:28 AM
"The original post was in an endeavour to discover whether one particular problem was becoming more prevalent amongst MK IV owners."
Here is the problem with reports like this. You don't know the history of the camera. Maybe it got wet, maybe the OP left it in the trunk of the car on a 100 degree day? Perhaps it got dropped or hit something while dangling form his neck strap. Went through a sauna! Who knows? OP might have used off brand batteries that failed. WHatever? I guarantee nothing happened out of the ordinary and seldom used if a Canon warranty is involved. See what I mean? You just can't use a small sample size to make any realistic conclusion. Plus a detailed history of the camera.