cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark IV Dead Body. NO power

Faxan
Contributor

Hi everyone. I´m photographer from Spain.

Last thursday my 5D MK IV died. I was working and suddenly no batery. I Changed the batery for a loaded one but dont work. The camera is dead. No power, no red led when insert batery. I have read about this issue in some forums. There is many people with this problem. That´s worry. I dont know what is the problem, if is faulty cameras o lens thirds incompatibility that blown the PCB.. I bought the camera in January 2017. I can´t believe than canon allow this in a profesional camera.

Do you know about this problems with 5D MK IV? and if canon repairs this issues for free?

Thanks 

54 REPLIES 54

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You should contact Canon Support, instead of a forum.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Sure, I do 😉 but the forums are here to talk about these issues

Maybe a sticky or faulty switch on the battery door or memory card door?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I´m photographer from Spain."

Canon USA has a full warranty.  Who knows about Spain?  You need to contact either the place where you bought it or Canon directly.  I don't think, but I'm pretty sure Canon USA can't help you

" I have read about this issue in some forums."

Don't believe all you read on the ole inner web.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I have already contact with Canon Spain for warranty. I dont be here to solve de problem only share! Smiley Frustrated

I only write here to share my problem to guess why this happens. It is unacceptable that this happens in professional cameras. I think that even out of warranty, canon should take care of the repair without cost.

You can see more people with this issue in their cameras. These are two cases in youtube: 

Ok thanks for nothing. 

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Despite what the YouTube videos might lead you to belive (because you can find a video that claims any product is a failure), the 5D IV certainly isn't known for this issue.  

There have been cameras in the past that have been known for one problem or another ... and we tend to see a much higher than normal "my ___ model camera is having a problem with ___".  This really doesn't happen with the 5D IV.

There are a few things you should try before you send your camera in.

#1  Remove everything from the camera body... make sure it doesn't have a card, a lens, a battery grip, etc.  so you're just down to the bare-bones camera body (you can attach the dust cap to the front of the body... that wont effect anything.)

#2  Insert a genuine Canon battery ... but nothing else (do not attach a lens or insert a memory card, etc.)

#3  Power it up

Does it work in this condition?

A healthy body will power up without a lens or memory card.  You wont be able to take any photos... but it will help you identify if possibly a bad memory card or lens issue is to blame (and I've definitely seen battery grips be responsible for these issues.)

There is a tiny switch build into the memory card door and battery door that detects if the door is open.  Power is cut if either door isn't completely closed.  Make sure those doors are closed (and not damaged).

If it still does not work, it needs service.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks for your reply TCampbell. I checked all you say and no works. It needs service. The issue in my camera is the same that users in this videos. There are some users with this problem but indeed not enough to be a serius problem. I would like to know why it happen... what piece inside blown and why.  What a bad luck :S 

I will send to Canon service tomorrow

@Faxan wrote:

Thanks for your reply TCampbell. I checked all you say and no works. It needs service. The issue in my camera is the same that users in this videos. There are some users with this problem but indeed not enough to be a serius problem. I would like to know why it happen... what piece inside blown and why.  What a bad luck :S 

I will send to Canon service tomorrow

I could simply be a defective switch (e.g. if the camera thinks a door is open even though you closed it.).   Just occasionally I have encountered stories where a camera wouldn’t typically power up, but the owner pressed on the door (near the switch location ... that’s easy to spot because you’ll see a plastic post that presses against the switch when the door is closed) then it work.

Canon service is pretty good.  They probably have the best reputation in the industry.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I check that switch in the battery door. 😉 But stills no power 😞 When I receive back the camera i will post what was the real problem.

Thanks a lot for your replies

Announcements