cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark IV Dead Body. NO power

Faxan
Contributor

Hi everyone. I´m photographer from Spain.

Last thursday my 5D MK IV died. I was working and suddenly no batery. I Changed the batery for a loaded one but dont work. The camera is dead. No power, no red led when insert batery. I have read about this issue in some forums. There is many people with this problem. That´s worry. I dont know what is the problem, if is faulty cameras o lens thirds incompatibility that blown the PCB.. I bought the camera in January 2017. I can´t believe than canon allow this in a profesional camera.

Do you know about this problems with 5D MK IV? and if canon repairs this issues for free?

Thanks 

54 REPLIES 54

Same thing happened to our camera. It is under two years and almost never used. Would be suprised if there are more than a a thousand pictures taken with it.

Would be interested to find out if this is a known defect.

I think a few replies on here about this problem are not looking at what forums are for. They are to share information, good or bad, about the 5D MK IV. The only way to highlight a possible problem with a product is to share information about it. Canon are not going to admit to a problem when cameras are submitted on an individual basis. By finding out through a forum if the problem is widespread is a way of getting Canon to accept that it is an inherent problem on some Cameras - ever heard of the expression 'Friday built product' where only a certain batch or number of products turn out to be faulty through some kind of faulty component? I was in the electronics business for 35 years and can assure you it does happen!

@Robin58 wrote:

I think a few replies on here about this problem are not looking at what forums are for. They are to share information, good or bad, about the 5D MK IV. The only way to highlight a possible problem with a product is to share information about it. Canon are not going to admit to a problem when cameras are submitted on an individual basis. By finding out through a forum if the problem is widespread is a way of getting Canon to accept that it is an inherent problem on some Cameras - ever heard of the expression 'Friday built product' where only a certain batch or number of products turn out to be faulty through some kind of faulty component? I was in the electronics business for 35 years and can assure you it does happen!

Forgive me for pointing this out, but we will be somewhat more likely to accept your judgement as to "what forums are for" after you have posted to this one more than five times.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"By finding out through a forum if the problem is widespread is a way of getting Canon to accept that it is an inherent problem on some Cameras..."

Not likely to do any good here.  This is a public forum. Yes, it is moderated by some Canon employees but it isn't a direct line to Canon or Canon customer service.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Think you missed my underlying point. Giving a wide airing on a forum by a large number of people affected by a specific problem on a specific model of camera helps identify whether it is a problem the manufacturer should be addressing. If the number of reports on a particular problem continues to increase I, for one, would use that information, when submitting my camera for repair - and asking whether the repair would be cost free under the circumstances and also what preventative measures the manufacturer had taken or was going to take to prevent the problem occurring on future models. The integrity of the company is affected if a probelm goes unaddressed because word soon gets round if something they make has reliability issues. Nikon were very quick to address the inherent problem on their D600, replacing some with D610's!  

I hardly think the number of times I have posted is relevant to my level of interest. I think the number of posts I have read - and the number that have read my posts - would be more appropriate to how much interest is being given to what is going on with Canon products. I have been addressing a particular problem associated with a number of 5D MK IV camera users and the idea of a forum IMO is to get a wider range of opinions in order to identify whether a particular problem is turning out to be an inherent one - as I iterated in my reply below. There have been some replies which seem to digress from the problem some users are experiencing.

"I hardly think the number of times I have posted is relevant to my level of interest."

Its not and it shouldn't.  Your problem and others is real. My only point is a person having this issue or 12 or a 100 is not a significant sample size to say it is an inherent problem with the 5D Mk IV.  This is just too small of a sample size when you consider how many 5dMk IVs are sold.

I feel for you because when its your 5D4 is not funny at all.  Smiley Sad

EB

But that is exactly my point. We won't find out how extensive a problem is (with any product) until we see the number of times it is addressed on a forum or forums. I belong to a few Canon photography groups, but only one of them is dedicated to the 5D MK IV exclusively. The number of members is quite small and the number experiencing one particular problem is just a small percentage of that membership. Exploring a wider number of owners via a forum can increase the numbers respectively. Keep quiet about something and people will never know how widespread it is. They will simply pay their repair bills and think they are in a minority of unlucky purchasers. The reason the Nikon D600 got recalled was because of so many purchasers complaining about it on forums.

"The reason the Nikon D600 got recalled was because  ..."

I would not compare Canon to Nikon since Nikon outsources so much of their production.  When you do that you lose some control over QC.  Pretty easy to tell, after the fact, that an outsourced supplier, of a mother board for instance, didn't follow specs closely enough.

EB

That was de reason for what i started this thread. To knows if there will be more people with same problem.

Announcements