cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark IV Dead Body. NO power

Faxan
Contributor

Hi everyone. I´m photographer from Spain.

Last thursday my 5D MK IV died. I was working and suddenly no batery. I Changed the batery for a loaded one but dont work. The camera is dead. No power, no red led when insert batery. I have read about this issue in some forums. There is many people with this problem. That´s worry. I dont know what is the problem, if is faulty cameras o lens thirds incompatibility that blown the PCB.. I bought the camera in January 2017. I can´t believe than canon allow this in a profesional camera.

Do you know about this problems with 5D MK IV? and if canon repairs this issues for free?

Thanks 

54 REPLIES 54

How did you go Faxan?

We just had a camera die - it's not quite 2yrs old so wondering if they found the fault in your camera.

Sorry to disagree Tim, but I have been a member of a Canon 5D MK IV Facebook group for a while now and the instances that are starting to arise that show problems with this model are increasing. I have a 5D MK II I bought in 2010, 45000 shutter count and not one single problem in all that time. My MK IV is now 15 months old and only 6000 shutter count, but already has displayed ERR 3 times in the last 2 months - rectified by removing the battery and refitting it. I live in fear of it 'dying' like so many others I have heard about, the latest by a member of the group who had to pay $627 to have it repaired. The main circuit board apparently, like others I have read about.

I am presently collecting reports from everyone I can who has experienced a problem with a MK IV under 3 years old. So far I have 7 including myself. This may seem a small number in relation to the number sold, but in relation to the number of problems reported on the MK II up to 10 years old it is substantial. 

I intend to write to Canon with the evidence I collect to see what they have to say about it. Nikon had a problem with their D600 and had the courtesy to recall and either repair or replace with a D610 for free I believe. 

I shall try and remember to report back what I hear from Canon.

That's right, that's what I'm talking about.

And here everyone saying that anything manufactured by human can fail. What nonsense is that?

Of course, it can fail, but there should not be so many cases. It is that it is not a unique case. It has happened to a lot of people with this 5d mark iv. You are paying a large amount of money for a product that should have maximum quality controls.

Imagine that you are going with your car on the highway and in the middle of the road the steering wheel is blocked. THAT is something that NEVER should happen. Well I could say 1000 examples.

I also had a 5d mark II for 9 years and never gave me an error in 500,000 shots. I understand that things can fail. But what happens with the 5d mark iv is not normal, even if it is an insignificant number of cameras, they are failing.

Canon must solve that.

"I also had a 5d mark II for 9 years and never gave me an error in 500,000 shots. I understand that things can fail."

I don't think you do!  The fact you had or I had a camera that worked flawlessly forever is no guarantee that the next one will do the same. It should I agree and the vast majority do. But it still proves nothing beyond you had a very good camera that lasted 500,000 shots.  Again anything made by the hand of man can and WILL eventually fail.  Perhaps the Mk IV has a faulty MB, maybe not. It is just another product made by man.

"...it is an insignificant number of cameras, they are failing."

All products have a DOA (dead on arrival) factor. Plus MTBF (mean time before failure) rate.  It is just unavoidable that some, hopefully a very small number of anything, will fail prematurely.  I am sorry it was yours.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

But what if the failure rate of a new product starts exceeding the expected number of failures ebiggs1, like the Nikon D600 did and which Nikon ended up doing a recall on it. Don't you think we should be highlighting a problem that has started to affect an increasing number of purchasers of the Canon 5D MK IV on a forum like this? No one should expect a product to fail through a faulty manufacturing defect and not get it repaired free of charge.

"Don't you think we should be highlighting a problem ..."

Absolutely.  However, finding 6 or 10 or even 50 out of several thousands to tens of thousands made is not a verified problem. I hope it is not a trend but who knows it could be.

Has Canon refused to warranty the issue?

EB

A superficially similar problem with the 70D turned out to be caused by a component failure on the motherboard, Many believe it's traceable to heavy use of the camera's video capability. Is there any evidence that heavy video usage could be at the root of the problems being reported regarding the 5D4?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi Bob - to answer your question, I haven't used my 5D4 for video, so I think that rules out video use as the root cause.
Cheers, Robin 

You can add me to this list of photographers with this same issue. I only bought my camera a year ago.  I have had the camera die on my 3 times since June and I have heard of this happening to other photographers on forums I am a mamber to.  One had to pay over 400 for repair.  So far I have been able to fix the situation by taking the battery out and then putting it back in.  I have two shoots this weekend and am terrified my camera will die during the all day shoot 3 hours from home.  I am bringing my (VERY) old t3 Rebel as my back up.  

No one expects perfection - but like the story above about the Porche - I do expect Canon to fix it at their cost. This issue is happening too much to be a bad component - there is a manufacturing or design defect here that Canon needs to address. 

" I have two shoots this weekend and am terrified my camera will die during the all day shoot ..."

Whether a camera has a reputation of failing or not, a second camera, backup, is mandatory if you are doing critical work.  Anything made by the hand of man can and will eventually fail. I never did any work for hire where I didn't have at least four camera bodies and half dozen extra batteries and CF cards.

EB
Announcements