cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark IV Dead Body. NO power

Faxan
Contributor

Hi everyone. I´m photographer from Spain.

Last thursday my 5D MK IV died. I was working and suddenly no batery. I Changed the batery for a loaded one but dont work. The camera is dead. No power, no red led when insert batery. I have read about this issue in some forums. There is many people with this problem. That´s worry. I dont know what is the problem, if is faulty cameras o lens thirds incompatibility that blown the PCB.. I bought the camera in January 2017. I can´t believe than canon allow this in a profesional camera.

Do you know about this problems with 5D MK IV? and if canon repairs this issues for free?

Thanks 

54 REPLIES 54

"I dont understand how it could happen in a profesional camera."

It can happen to anything made by the hand of man.  Professional or otherwise, that has no bearing.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Every electronic component has a non-zero failure rate including both mil spec and the even more expensive "space qualified" components. (and if these still less than perfect spec level components were used the 5D4 body cost would exceed the cost of a new luxury auto).    

A DSLR system consists of a large system of integrated electronic and electromechanical assemblies so the possibility of system failure is far higher than that of any individual component.  The probabilty of product failure is still very low and most owners will not experience a significant issue in the design life expectancy of the camera but that in no way equates to an expectation of zero failures.  That is why warranties and service departments exist.

Just over two years ago a friend took delivery of a $170,000 Porsche after waiting several months for it to be built and delivered.  It suffered terminal engine failure within 50 miles of the dealer due to a manufacturing defect in a single engine component part.  The issue was properly resolved by Porsche with great customer service however it is a good reminder that nothing is perfect including a high performance car where the individual headrests probably cost as much as my 1DX 2 DSLR body.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I dont understand how it could happen in a profesional camera."

It can happen to anything made by the hand of man.  Professional or otherwise, that has no bearing.

Quite true. If it's work you're being paid to do, you bring along a spare camera. Some learn that by listening to good advice; others learn it the hard way. But anyone who stays in the game long enough learns it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Faxan
Contributor
That's it.

designersukh
Apprentice
I got my 5d mark iv in November 2019 and its less than two months and my camera battery died and didn't turned on again. What canon did to your camera? I just drooped it to retailer to send it to canon for inspection .

Make sure your GPS and Wi-Fi are disabled.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

designersukh
Apprentice
It was not getting on, how can i disable them.

bobmepp_71
Contributor

I just experienced the same dead body/no power issue with a 5DMkIV that was less than 2 weeks old. I opted to return it to BHPhotoVideo for a full refund (they were very prompt with no questions asked). I still have a 3+ year old 6D that I am very much satisfied with, and will continue with that pending seeing what Canon comes up with to replace the 5DMkIV. Given Canon's general interval between model updates, it seems like a 5DMkV, or whatever it's going to be called, should be showing up fairly soon. I am a very long time and very satisfied Canon user, but I have a general policy that if any piece of equipment fails within the return window, I get rid of it, regroup, and go for an alternative choice, especially if the failed model has been around for a while. 

" I get rid of it, regroup, and go for an alternative choice, especially if the failed model has been around for a while. "

You know through the years I have heard people say that or something like Canon is junk because my Canon camera broke.

My main most question is do you not think other camera companies don't have the occasional problems, too?  Of course they do.  Any product made by the hand of man can and will eventually fail. It is our hope they work for a very long time.

B&H is top drawer and Canon is also top drawer.  Switching you may find other camera companies not so responsive to problems.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

You may have misunderstood my post -- I don't think I came even close to saying Canon is junk. Because of my long history with Canon, going back to age 16 (I'm now 71), I will be looking for an alternative Canon choice, most likely, as I alluded to, whatever is coming up to replace the 5DMk4. Meanwhile, I continue to be very happy with my 6D. I don't really think the 5DMk4 is a camera I couldn't have grown to like, as the one I had for just two weeks impressed me ergonomically, but, being burned by the experience of a failure in such a short time period, I am simply regrouping and deferring a new Canon camera decision for the time being. I continue to have a high level of confidence in Canon and have no intention of switching to another brand.

Announcements