cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark III shutter/picture issue

leewang
Contributor

Recently I bought RC-6 IR remote for my 5D and took some pictures with it and everything worked fine. Yesterday I picked up my camera again and tried to shoot a picture and it worked, however when I tried taking the next picture my camera was not responding. I could press the shutter half way and focus works, but no picture could be taken at full press. Then I was able to take pictures with the shutter when I went into picture preview but only at half press. I have tried updating the firmware and hard reseting the camera but it did not work. I can still take pictures with the IR remote totally fine. Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this?

12 REPLIES 12

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I suggest that you download a copy of the full User Guide.  What shutter drive mode is the camera using?  Use one the shutter delay timer settings with the remote.  Also, things get a little confusing if you have mirror lockup enabled.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I have tried updating the firmware and hard reseting the camera but it did not work."

I don't know why people think FW is the issue when something goes a way not expected. It is way down on the list of things to try and if there was a real problem updating the FW can brick the camera if not able to be done correctly.

I like the idea of a reset but did you do it correctly?  First go to menus, tools, clear all settings and all custom settings.  If that doesn't reset it remove both batteries.  The main power battery and the keep alive button battery.  Keep them out for a good bit of time, say an hour or so.

Just to be sure you know the camera will not fire if it can not achieve focus even though it tries? Just checking.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for the responses, let me make a detailed list of the things I have tried and maybe explain my problem a little bit more. 

I know 100% that this is not a mechanical issue as my shutter button still works. I can say this because when I leave the camera turned off for a while and turn it on, I can shoot one picture with a full press of the shutter button, both in autofocus and manual focus mode. However, this is when the problem occurs. Once I took the first picture, the camera does not take any more pictures using the shutter button. A half press will initiate autofocus and focus on an object, however a full press does not take the picture. BUT, once I press the playback button and look at my pictures, if I delete the initial picture, I can shoot another picture ONLY in the playback menu, BUT the picture is taken at a half press, not full press of the shutter. 

What is even weirder is that the camera works perfectly fine when using the remote control in IR mode.

So the things I have already tried to fix this.

• Use different lenses
  • Completely reset settings and custom settings
  • Took out battery and clock battery for 1+ hours
  • Updated firmware
  • Different shooting modes
  • Removed battery from IR remote to make sure there is no interference

The problem persists but I can be sure it is not a mechanical error, furthermore I have never enable mirror lock on my 5D before. I have had this camera for years and it worked flawlessly. Only when I started using the remote this problem occurred recently.

That sounds weird enough to warrant a call to Canon Support.  Sounds like something is failing.  But, it is weird that it only began when you started using a remote, though.

That is a very odd problem and nothing earth shattering comes to mind to fix it.  Did you try reformating the card in the camera in your list of things you tried to resolve the issue?

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Yea it is very odd, and I have actually tried using another brand new card that was still in its packaging but that didn't work either. I will call Canon support on Monday, not sure if my camera is still under warranty though...

1 year, when did you buy it?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Probably like 4-5 years ago, it's hard to recall at this point.

@leewang wrote:

Probably like 4-5 years ago, it's hard to recall at this point.

At least give Canon Support a call.  Right now you have a camera that does not seem to work properly.  I would not trust the repair to anyone but Canon.

Announcements