cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark III Won't Let me Choose AF points while shooting

kprater
Apprentice

Hey! I have a Canon 5D Mark III and I recently had a new Main board put in recently and it wiped all of my settings out so I had to start from scratch and now my problem is this: While shooting I used to be able to use the joystick to choose AF points easily when I half-clicked the shutter button but now I have been needing to hit the AF point selection button on the back (five boxes icon with one solid one in the center) every time I need to change AF points--not change the type of AF focus point but the actual spot that focuses while shooting. It's terribly hindering my shooting speed. I think it might be a settings thing but I can't figure it out, please help.

Thank you,

Kirsten

6 REPLIES 6

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Under the AF5 menu where do you have the menu item "AF point display during focus" set?  I don't have a 5D but with this option set to "selected AF point"  with my 1DX and 1DX M2 I can use the controller to select the AF point after a half depress of the shutter release

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Who did you have replace the MB?  Try another reset of the camera might be in order.  If that does not fix it take it back to whoever did the repair.  If it wasn't Canon it may not have bee done correctly.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Yeah. Sounds like replacement board could be used. Reset the camera, which must done in multiple menu locations. Make sure to reset Custom Control programming.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

PLee
Enthusiast

The following steps will enable the joystick for direct AF point selection:

1. Custom Function Menu Tab #2 (C.Fn2: Disp./Operation)
  2. Custom Controls
  3. Multi-controller AF point direct selection
  4. AF point direct selection

This is great thank you! Somehow this got reset for me and it was very frustrating not having it.  Finding this post and being able to have this function back is so good.

ahousat
Apprentice
Thx you was struggling with this on my mark iv!!
Announcements